1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang/Musicmaster question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dereksilloway, Jul 30, 2012.

1. How hard would it be to fit Mustang pickups into a Musicmaster body?

I have a musicmaster bass body and would really like for it to have the 2 p setup of the Mustang. Besides the pickguard (which I can buy new) what, if any mods would I have to do to make the Mustang pickups work?

Thanks for your help!

2. silentmike

silentmike

May 20, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    You're going to have to route the body for the new pickup. If you're inexperienced with routers, I'd suggest getting a luthier to do it for you. It shouldn't cost too much. The other thing that I can see happening is that the new pickguard holes most likely won't be in the same place as the old ones. You will probably have to get them drilled, but a luthier can do that too.

3. Thanks silentmike.
    Im really new to Fender basses and will get a luthier to do this for me as you suggested.
    Thanks again!

4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
  5. Thats a great link dude...thanks for posting it.
    Does anyone know where I could get the electronics for this project? I dont even know where to start (like I said Im a complete Fender novice)

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Nordstand NM4 pickups (but you have to get Mustang PU covers):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/nordstrand-nm4-mustang-replacement-737700/

Here's some sound clips:
    http://www.bassramblings.com/2010/12/30/review-nordstrand-nm4-mustang-bass-pickups/

Here's a Mustang wiring diagram:
    http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/wiringdiagrams/mustangbass.jpg

I'd like to know if the Mustang pickguard/control plate line up correctly on the Musicmaster.

7. Cool.
    Thanks man, I will certainly make a thread with the progress I make!

8. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
  9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
  10. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    The best way I can describe the sound of it is a modern single-coil precision. The Fast Track 2 is closer to the Mustang.

11. I really like the looks of the Dimarzio one alot...I might just have to do that. Im having some trouble finding luthiers in the area anyway.

12. Does anyone know if there is a full Musicmaster or Musstang pre wired circuits available?

13. Or what exactly do I need to wire this up? I have never done any wiring but I want to try and have no clue where to start!

14. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    The pick-up comes with its own wire. Reuse the wire from the pots if changing them.

The big question is, do you know how to solder?

15. Yes sir I do. Ive done some simple wiring before on cars and boats but never on a bass. Im sure it is relatively simple, I just wanted to get as much info as I could before starting.