Fender Mustang or Fender Jaguar. Who should stay, who should go.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darren Henry, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM.

1. Mustang

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. Jaguar

30 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. 1967 Coronado I

32 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. I own a Fender Mustang and a Fender Jaguar, both crafted in Japan. I like them a lot butttt I recently purchased a SWEET 1967 Fender Coronado I guitar and something's gotta go. I play both of them interchangeably. I thought I'd ask the gear guru's over here in Talkbass for some help...so what do you all think? Here are pics of the two members in question (as well as the one taking one of their places). And if you can, try and talk me out of selling either of them... IMG_2979.JPG IMG_2980.JPG suqgw7t2jmjrl8xtqcst.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I can't tell you the answer w/o playing them first.

I've sold HEAPS of gear in the past & my recommendation is to just put one in a case & under your bed or in a closet.

Advice varies on storage, but I'd slack the strings & the truss rod.
    or leave it tuned up, but don't slack the strings w/o also slacking the truss rod, for long-term storage

mikewalker likes this.
  3. That's fair. They both play real nice. I've sold a few pieces of gear in the past and have never really suffered from seller's remorse...I'm worried that this time I just might :'( Storage isn't really the problem for me, however, money is...I'm trying to sell some pedals and other gear before I sell one of these but if worse comes to worse I just might.

4. Ditch the Jaguar. Least Unique in the arsenal.

dukeorock likes this.
  5. That's true. The paint on the mustang is pretty unique and pretty cool imo.

6. I voted Coronado because Jaguars and Mustangs hold special places in my heart parts... but of course, without having played any of your instruments (and without being you), I have to go the unhelpful route and say it's entirely your choice. Sorry!

7. I would never part with my MIJ Jag.

Love vintage semi-hollow bodied guitars. That's a keeper.

Mustangs, meh. They never did anything for me, and forgive me for saying yours is not especially pretty or unique. Buh-bye.

8. I just ordered the Coronado last night, so I haven't even played it. For all I know I could hate it. Luckily I got it for a smoking deal and could easily recoup my money. Update, I've sold two pedals already...so that's making me feel a little better. At this rate I might not have to sell any of them

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

From all reports I've ever heard about the Coronado, its sound is mediocre at best. I haven't owned one, but I suspect you'd better keep the two you already have.

Keep all three, play the Coronado as a curiosity or when the fit moves you. There is NO LAW saying you can't have more than two basses.

ppiluk likes this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Keep the Mustang.

pcake likes this.
  11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    When you say "I play both of them interchangeably", I thought you meant which of the two basses you should sell (or keep).
    But you have all 3 listed in the choices.

Anyways - I'd keep the Mustang first, for sure. Then I'd keep the Jaguar.
    The Coronado has no appeal to me, so that one would go.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. Felis, sorry of the confusion. I mostly put the Coronado on the poll as a joke (because this is a bass forum after all). But more and more people seem to suggest letting the Coronado go...but maybe that's because this is a bass forum after all.

As for the rest of the thread, I think I'm mostly interested in why people are picking the one they are. Maybe we should approach this a different way... If you had the choice to choose between a jag and a mustang which would be your go to, and why? Maybe a pros and cons list...Does anyone own both, which would they ditch and why?

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Joke or not, the tribe has spoken.

;)

I would keep the Jag but, based on your pics, the Stang has more sentimental attachment. I like the longer scale plus I always liked Jag necks. The electronics are a nice addition although I think the pickups are meh. For the record, I voted for the Coronado.

14. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I love shorties so I say keep the Mustang. No other reason for my choice.

gln1955 likes this.
  15. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I've yet to own either but which one gives you more of that warm and fuzzy feeling when you play it? Keep that one.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Keep the Jag. How much you want for the Stang? :)

Plectrum72 likes this.
  17. I voted to get rid of the guitar, but then I've barely touched any if my guitars since taking up the bass.

If i had to part with one of the basses, I'd probably keep the Mustang as its a little more interesting than the Jag. If the Jag felt and sounded much better than the Mustang the decision would be harder.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. I'm not sure this is really helping me in making my decision, I think I'll wait until the Coronado comes...But in the meantime I guess I'll make my pros and cons list and see where that takes me...

I'll start with the Jag:
    Pros: I LOVE the neck. The bass as a whole feels solid as a rock. This was the first nice piece of gear I ever owned. I've had it since middle school and now I'm a sophomore in college, so there is some sentimental value to this one...
    Cons: I think the active side of the controls are pretty garbage. They were very microphonic, I could hear my finger nails when they would hit the strings....the passive side is very good tho.

Now for the 'stang:
    Pros: I also LOVE the neck, there just happens to be less of it (which I also happen to dig the short scale). I've had this a much shorter time, maybe 4 months now?? But it feels fresh and new to me. The tone knob has the widest range I've ever heard.
    Cons: The paint job is a little funky, I'm usually a black/white/sunburst kind of guy...but it's really starting to grow on me. I seem to always bump my volume knob when I play, I suppose I could tape it like the punk rocker I've always dreamt of being.

And to the question of which gives me the warm fuzzy feeling: Well, lame answer, they both do....I tend to reach for my Mustang when I'm trying to write a bassline, but I think that's just because it's a newer tool in my toolbox. I've been writing a lot of dream pop and bedroom pop for my "solo project" or whatever, and when I picture a songwriter making those songs I always imagine a musicmaster...which is most closely related to the mustang, I suppose.

I thought maybe this exercise of writing it out would help me but I'm not so sure it did.

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Sounds like you have good reasons for keeping both basses. Sell the Coronado. Or something else - Do you have any other assets you could part with to make up the cash?

lowdownthump and pcake like this.
  20. fffreddy

fffreddy

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sell all three and buy yourself a decent bass