1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender Mustang... or is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by picnic1, Apr 29, 2009.

1. picnic1

picnic1

Apr 29, 2009
    Hi,

I have a Fender Bass and i am trying establish what make it is. Normally you might say that this would easy however this case seems a bit tricky as this bass seems to made of different parts perhaps.

See photos here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/antho...authkey=Gv1sRgCMSRvt211NbMsQE&feat=directlink

The plate on the back has a "F" fender style but no number. the head says Fender but thats it, it could be a fake i dont now. I have just removed the neck and the butt has a stamp for "Webright" & the codes 0400 426 & 4265 are present on the butt of the neck. The body has somw smudged numbers (looks like 4digits) which are hard to decipher.

I have had this bass for ten years and only now am i tryiong to figure out what i have.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I had a real 60s Mustang and the headstock was nothing like this! In fact it looks fake to me - not even Fender...?

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Looks real to me EXCEPT: one replacement (G) tuner from a G&L or Musicman methinks, repro pickguard, fake logo. Everything else looks legit to me.

4. picnic1

picnic1

Apr 29, 2009
    Weird, the Tuning paegs are defo fender...?? hmmmmm

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    While I admire it, I don't believe any student model was ever made out of ash - I could be wrong. They were usually paint grade, alder at best. I am aware of a very VERY few mahogany bodies.

I bet it sounds killer.

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    All the natural finish '76-'80 Mustangs were ash. No serial number on your neckplate because it was on the headstock before the s/n and logo were removed.
    Simple as that!

7. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    I agree. Looks like a real Mustang, but the headstock logo is wrong. And the knobs, I believe.

8. What other manufacturer, including aftermarket parts suppliers, used rosewood 'veneer' fingerboards other than Fender? This is not a rhetorical question, I really would like to know because this bass appears to have one.

9. picnic1

picnic1

Apr 29, 2009
    Cheers, yeah i have to agree (after much research) that i believe new knobs have been added.

The headstock logo is just down right bizarre (has anyone seen that before..??)

The quest to date this continues.

So basically i have a 70s mustang body and a Fender neck ( of some era) which has been doctored somewhat logo wise.

Yeah the sound is so distinctive and i used to get some brilliantdeep woody sounds throuh my old Hartke set up :)

Any further theories are welcome on what i may have :)