1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang or MIM Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jon92388, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jon92388

jon92388

Apr 20, 2010
    Ok So I have a little dilemma on my hands and was hoping for a little input. Tomorrow I plan to buy a new bass and upgrade from my Squire p bass that Ive had for 3 years and really cant stand the thing. It was great when I first started to learn but now I have really out grown it. So the local guitar center has a Mustang for like 550. I loved how it feels. When I picked it up it felt like gold in my hands however the tone wasn't the best. The other one is a MIM standard jazz that a friend has laying around (he is a guitar player) I always fool around with when im there its not bad at all. He said he would sell it to me for 250 with a hard case. My budget is 600 and the mustang would leave me broke so my question is what would you do?

2. ahbassman

ahbassman

Dec 8, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Does the Mustang feel 300 dollars better than the Jazz? If so, buy it.

I myself would take the jazz though :p

3. Tough choice. I have a Mustang bass and love it, but it does have a somewhat limited tonal range. Being short scale it is definitely a pleasure to play. The Jazz will give you more tonal variety which is definitely something to think about if you weren't too thrilled about the Mustang's tone. I just bought a MIM Jazz Deluxe and am loving the tone and feel of it.

4. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    what kind of music do you play?

either way you cant go wrong with the jazz, and can just mod it until you love it lol

and its cheaper. love my jazz

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If it were me, I'd get the Jazz.

6. If I had 2 or 3 other basses I would go for the Mustang
    it has 1-2 distinct and usable tones IMHO but nowhere near as versatile as a Jazz Bass
    I think most people get a Mustang to cop a distinct tone like the Rolling Stones or some kickin glam rock tunes
    or just to say " I have one"

How did you outgrow the P Bass?
    I mean no offense but a P bass does have a great thump and it does that sound very well even in a Squier. Do you not like the sound? If thats the case you may not dig the Mustang.

The smart money is to save a few bucks and get that Jazz off your friend and keep the Squier P bass as a backup
    and down the road if you got the itch.. sell the P bass and save a few more bucks and get the Mustang

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Jazz, no question. I don't think a Mustang is worth that much more, certainly not if you already have a P, which is going to get you a similar tone.

8. jon92388

jon92388

Apr 20, 2010
    Well How I mean I out grew it is its crap the thing feels like trash. Its a real entry level bass I got for 50 at a pawn shop. I plan on giving it to a local music store where they will give it to kids in the area who couldn't afford instruments. The tone of the Jazz is way better for me honestly I just loved how that short scale feels. The mustang may look a little weird with me though as I am 6'3 and 230lbs haha.

9. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    If the Jazz is in good condition then that's a good price especially if he's throwing in a hardcase. The Mustang is a cool bass I don't think I would want it as my primary instrument. The Jazz will be a bit more versatile in the tone department.

10. jon92388

jon92388

Apr 20, 2010
    You know you do make a good point. For less then I would pay for the mustang I could probably make that jazz a lot better

11. jon92388

jon92388

Apr 20, 2010
    The jazz is actually in mint condition I don't think its been played more then a handful of times and maybe 90% of the time its me who played it lol.

12. I have both. I never touch my Mustang. Granted, I have upgraded my MIM Jazz like nobody's business, but it has always played better than the Mustang IMO.

13. i see
    well if you are down to just one bass I say go for the Jazz:hyper::hyper:

14. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I love my Mustang. I didn't dig the tone as much when it was strung with roundwounds though. Too brittle. I put some Thomastik Flats on it though and rolled the tone knob back a bit and this is the bass that speaks to me more than any other now. Sounds really good with a pick too. But if that type of deep thump is not your sound, than you may want something else. There are great usable tones in a Mustang but they may not be for everybody. It's hard to go wrong with a Jazz or Precision Bass which is why that is what is most recommended. Not to mention, it is easy to modify to your liking. It will probably be a nice player with usable tones right out of the box.

Boy, that short scale neck does feel great on that 'Stang though.

Your amp will make a big difference too in how your bass projects your sound so keep that in mind too. My Mustang sounds great with my Walkabout or my Sansamp VT Bass. I think the amp adds some color to the tone which probably helps as well.

Hope this helps...G

15. I would def be going for the MIM Jazz over a Mustang anyday.:rolleyes:

16. jon92388

jon92388

Apr 20, 2010
    I got the jazz bass in the end. I took it into guitar center to try it out vs the mustang and it was better by miles. my friend even threw in a Behringer ultrabass bx600 for $50 i didn't need it but it was a steal lol

17. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    congrats on your jazz.
    $350 will go a long way for upgrades.
    let us know what you do to it. :bassist: