1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syndroam, Feb 7, 2017.

1. syndroam

syndroam

Sep 30, 2009
    Hellas
    I could not find any exclusive thread about the new Mustang PJ besides the "NAMM" and "Shortscale" threads so excuse me if I create double posts.
    I think of getting one of those... My first Short Scale and P/J bass.
    Never played a short scale before (and there is no way of trying one out where I live) but I can buy online and return if I am not pleased (already have a backup plan, if it gets returned I will get a sire jazz). It looks very comfortable to play and carry to rehearsals... Already have 4 basses that cover different tones (jazz,precision,stingray,warwick) and feel like trying something new. I don't care about the "its great for girls/guitarists" comments.
    The price is also very appealing.
    Anybody got one?
    Impressions?
    Does it need special strings or regular length strings are ok?

CocoaThumper and woodyng2 like this.
  2. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I was looking for a short scale for my daughter. Standard scale is a bit of a reach for her. So I tried out the Mustang, a Lakland, and the Squier Jag SS.

Bought the Jag. I liked tha Lakland best. But at $800 used it is pretty steep. The Mustang was underwhelming. Even after a set up it didn't sound full like a P should. The Jag sounds and plays great. The P pickup is surprisingly good. The Jazz pickup is OK. I put an old Fender CS 62 pickup in it at the bridge. Sounds so much better than it's $200 price.

I'd look at the Ibanez in the range as well.

Electric_Delta, Nomogram and pudge like this.
  3. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    It comes with a .105 E string . That is fatter than I use on my Precision. Those regular Fender tuners will take any string that will reach . I am saving up for a blue 'Stang. -wish it could have a maple fingerboard though.

kevs likes this.
  4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Get one - if you don't like it, return it.

With the 4 basses you have now, you've got 'tone' pretty well covered.
    So I guess it'd be a case of if the bass does something special for you.

It uses regular length short scale strings (no string thru body),
    but I had a spare set of medium length flats I put on it.
    I love it.

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Janek Gwizdala bought one in a recent episode of his vlog. Worth checking out(all of the episodes are worth a view).

AL_BASS and middlebit like this.
  6. kevs

kevs

Feb 15, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Never played much on a short scale, but I recently fell in love with the Fender Mustang PJ in the ever attractive sonic blue. Played a few times and decided it was time to bring her home. It's fun to play. Silky smooth and fairly diverse with the P and J tones. My new go-to for quick jams.

Attached Files:

7. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    I played one at GC and I noticed it had a more "piano"type twang than the '70s one I had back then. I am saving up for a Sonic Blue like yours. This must be the absolute lightest shade of blue ! (lighter than Daphne Blue )

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    My sonic blue Mustang should arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I had a 'traditional' MIJ Mustang and the original style split coil pick up just didn't do much for me, but the PJ pick ups on this edition sound like they could really work for me.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have played one twice, and yesterday I really took to it. It is a really good soundtrack no bass, and think I would like one for travel more than anything else. It is bigger than my U-bass, but it sounds like an actual bass guitar too.

10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    The Mustang is the only short scale bass i've played that i actually like. It would be interesting to hear how the PJ setup wouldgive you different tones,but i found the "regular" Mustang to have a great tone with the original type pickup.

macmanlou likes this.
  11. Compared to the (currently VERY hard to find) Japanese Classic-series Mustang, I found the PJ-version very underwhelming. It felt nice, but it sounded really restrained and dull.

12. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Did you try all the switch positions? I guess you could say the P is a bit restrained, or polite, without any signal processing.
    Flip it to the 'both' position and it starts to come alive. Switch it to the J and it sizzles.
    The P by itself, with rounds, just sounds to me like it would be useable in most any situation.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would agree, given my limited experience.

14. I thought it was nice. You could buy a Jag used and replace the pickups for less, but the Mustang is pretty nice out of the box.

98mtd likes this.
  15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    That's so weird... the traditional MIJ Mustang I had just wasn't very lively. It could do the papery vintage thing no problem, but that was about it. At least in my hands. I even put in a Nordstrand NM4 pick up, same deal.

16. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I've got a couple Jag SS's - one with stock pickups,
    and one with Duncan Designed pickups and stacked control knobs,
    from an earlier 34" Squier Jaguar.
    They're nice basses, but the pickups in the Mustang P/J sound fuller, deeper, and richer at all settings.
    IMO - the P/J's are fine as-is.

Yes - you can get a Jag SS and replace the pickups,
    but I think the overall build quality is better on the P/J than on the Jag SS,
    and the neck also feels different.
    The tone control has a much greater effect on the P/J than on the Jag SS.
    They're all good basses, but I think the P/J is worth the extra money.

17. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I've played the P/J Mustang a couple of times, and it's lots of fun--feels good, sounds good, nicely made.

General maligning of short scales often comes down to prejudice or misinformation. (That's not to say all short scales are great basses, but no one would make that claim about long scales, either.) Personal preference is another thing, of course.

18. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Did you adjust the pickups? That can make a huge difference.

19. Also, Janek Gwizdala did an entire vlog dedicated to the purchase of one of these.

20. tasaiko

tasaiko

Sep 21, 2006
    I was wondering if someone could tell me or measure the neck pocket dimensions on one of these basses.
    Thanks.