Fender Mustang re-issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Sep 5, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    Has any got their hands on a new mustang re-issure bass yet. I can't wait to find one becasue i love the short scale (30 inch). It's actually pretty cheap too (699) considering it has vintage nickel frets, and more so that Fender gear is always so expensive.
  2. Hopefuly that is the list price. If it is over $500, it won't sell well, IMO. I can't wait to try one though:)
  3. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    did anyone play one yet or at least hear about them????
  4. one of the major internet sales companies are selling them for $499. I would love to get my hands one one to compare it to my son's modified bronco bass.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I got my latest Musicians "Fiend" catalog yesterday and they're selling `em for $489 (same price as that gawdawful Hoppus fruit thing).

I tried out "the real deal" way back when. Essentially, it's a scaled-down Precision....good sounding (if the new Stangs sounds like the old ones) and well built. Leo Fender designed it as a "student bass" in `66 when he was just a "consultant" to CBS after they bought his company. The Ford Mustang was a new, hot, car at the time, hence the name.

If you look around, like on e-Bay or a search engine, you can often find the old ones for no more than $400.
  6. I played one recently... Still prefer my fender but I like the sound
  7. Like rickbass says,if you snoop around on ebay you can find some vintage `stangs...sometimes at some good prices too!

Never played one but would like to check one out.
    They look like a nifty(for lack of a better word )lil
    bass. :)
  8. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I just bought one today. I walked into the store just to browse and picked one up just to check it out; I had never played a short scale before. I plugged it into a Bassman 60 and fell in love. I have never felt a bass that was so easy to play and the tone is great. Sounds like my P but a bit punchier and alot lighter. Try one- I think you might like it.

9. I have to laugh because I had an original one that I paid 75 bucks for way back when.........
  10. Anybody interested in the mustang would probably do thems a favor by checking out the new essex short scale. For $99, I wish it had been around before I bought my son the bronco bass.
  11. jesse55

Jul 3, 2002
    well i tried one last week and they kick ***!!! i loved it!!
  12. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    I had one back in 77,swapped out the original p/u's and put in p's kicked major butt.but as alway's we move on.