1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang - thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Apr 20, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Due to hand issues, I am looking at short scales. Looking at the Mustang, although I see it has just one volume and a pickup selector, which seems to be a poor setup, since you can't blend the pickups.

Also looking at the Squier Jag. How does that compare? Also, in the photo, it looks like there are two metal knobs (or something metal) on either side of the bottom strap knob. What are they?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Phil Doyle

Phil Doyle

Apr 21, 2018
    I have had a Mustang PJ for about a year. I love it. It’s fun to play, is small and light, and has great tone. The neck is narrow and fast. The short scale allows me to reach across at least one fret more than I can on a full scale in many situations, and makes some techniques, such as bending, easier. I don’t find the control layout an issue; I also have a Yamaha RBX which has PJ pickups with blending and I guess in practice I only use 3 settings in that arrangement anyway (all P, all J, and some kind of mix... but once they’re mixed the differences get pretty subtle).

My only complaint about the Mustang is that it cuts off at 19 frets. I can only think that this was for style reasons - there would be enough room to add at least one more. However, unless you’re planning to do a lot of soloing high up the neck, I think it’s a great bass.

gsgbass and buldog5151bass like this.