Fender Mustang vs Jaguar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alfi27, Jul 9, 2019.

1. alfi27

alfi27

Jul 9, 2019
    Hey guys,

I'm a guitarist looking for a really good sounding studio bass guitar for rock stuff. The new Fender Player series looks totally rad and I'm eyeing one of the guitars as well, so I'm pretty set on that series. I started out with the Precision in mind as that is the sound I'm going for, but the Jaguar looks so much cooler and it has the same sound + more and the price is the same.

Although I discarded the Mustang for its shorter scale at first, after listening to some demos the shorter scale didn't make as much of a difference as I thought. And the less extreme transition from the scale of a guitar, is also a good thing. I would also be saving some money on it, but that's not really important if it would be a compromise.

To elaborate a bit more on the tone I want, although it's a cheesy example I absolutely love the guitar and bass separation on American Idiot (the single in particular). A big part of it is obviously the mix engineer doing a fine job, but I never managed to get a similar sound with my late Marcus Miller V7 (J-bass).

And finally, my list of priorities:
    #1: Sound
    #2: Versatility
    #3: Playability
    #4: Price

Cheers guys, any feedback and help at all would be massively appreciated!

2. alfi27

alfi27

Jul 9, 2019
    No one?

3. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    If you like the American Idiot bass sound I would suggest going with a precision. Since you wanted a little more versatility, you might go with a Precision with an added J to it, so basically a jaguar or a PJ.

I've played a mustang, because back then, I always thought I'd like the shorter scale. Turns out I didn't because the sound is just not as good as a precision bass. Bear in mind that this was the mustang with just a mustang pickup and not a real PJ pickup.

I would recommend based on what you're preferences are to go:
    1. PJ
    2. Jaguar
    3. Mustang

Any of these basses played with a pick can get you into green day territory of American Idiot.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021