1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang vs. Squier Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PixelPaul, Aug 24, 2012.

1. PixelPaul

PixelPaul

Jun 20, 2008
    I'm trying to choose my first bass. I have smaller hands and am leaning towards a short scale bass. I really like the look of the Fender Mustang. Trying to distinguish between the Fender Mustang and the Squier Mustang. Seems like the biggest difference (other than the colors) is one has a maple fretboard and one has a rosewood. But there must be more than this to justify the roughly $500 price difference? What am I missing?

On a related note, I'm trying to understand what "fret radius" is. The Fender Mustang lists 7.25" and the Squier Mustang lists 9.5". So the 7.25" would have a thinner neck and therefore likely be better for my smaller hands? Am I understanding this correctly?

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    actually, 9.5 would be flatter while a smaller number would be more curved. Hand size is relative and fretboard radius is a matter of preference more than anything else.

The biggest difference between the Squier and the Fender are country of origin, quality of parts, and quality of labor.

You should definitely try those out before you buy them, as well as a Fender or Squier jazz bass. Full scale instruments have the strings at a higher tension which affords more bounce in the feel and zing in the sound.

Just my opinion. I'm a retail salesman of guitars and basses as well as a bass player myself.

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Adding my two cents. The Fender Mustang is made in Japan. These are becoming rare since I understand that Fender is in the process of eliminating manufacturing in Japan (except possibly for domestic consumption in Japan).

As a general rule, a MIJ instrument has better quality components (better electronics that won't start making noise over time, better pickups, etc.), better quality workmanship, finish, and QC (MIJ is the top of the heap for consistent quality), and possibly better quality wood.

The Squier version is made in China (or possibly Indonesia) and is designed to be sold at a lower price point. Labor is part of that, but cannot be the entire difference.

Fret radius is the roundness of the top of the fretboard. It does not directly affect the width or thickness of the neck. IMO, radius is more important to guitarists who favor a smaller, rounder radius for chords and a larger, flatter radius for picking styles, bends, etc.

4. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    If this is your first bass, there will be little meaningful difference between the two. They sound very similar, if not identical (I have heard that the pickups are more or less the same in both). The biggest difference will be the feel of the neck. The Japan one feels pencil thin and has a very glossy finish on the back and a more curved profile to the fretboard. The Squier is a little chunkier around the back, with a flatter fretboard. It also has slightly thicker frets (I believe) and a more matte finish. I have small hands and actually prefer the feel of the Squier. No doubt, the quality of the Fender's parts is a little higher, but the quality of the Squier is also decent.

5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    The Fender has Vintage Style Frets and the Squier has Medium Jumbo