1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang - What are they worth??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by altarget, Mar 17, 2008.

1. altarget

altarget

Oct 5, 2006
    Hi everyone. How much should i be paying for a '77 mustang bass? Its in good original condition looks great but the electrics have been 'modified'?? Is this a good thing? What should I offer, think the guys lookin for 600 - 700 English pounds. I'd appreciate any thoughts - cheers.

2. I'd say it's worth around $800 US... so I'd say that's closer to £400 - £500 UK, but I don't know how rare they are over there, that might drive the value up.

I guess the only answer is, however much you're willing to pay... :D

3. I'm no expert on prices, but anything over £500 for a used Mustang sounds a bit steep to me.
    Mind you, if it's in really good condition, it is worth what you want to pay for it.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I see 70's Mustangs at dealers from about $900- $1200.

i'm not sure what the typical price is on Ebay.

The racing stripe ones go for more

5. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Sounds a little pricey, but I would still consider it. I had a '77 black on black with maple fretboard mustang and sold it. I regret it all the time:scowl:

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    How modified is it?

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

They go for about $800 on eBay. But you can buy a new, '65 reissue for about $600.

8. altarget

altarget

Oct 5, 2006
    Thanks alot for your quick replies. I got it wrong, its not been modified is that a bonus? Are the mustang's quite heavy?? that was my only other concern. I have a cort action jnr at the moment. Cheers everyone.

9. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    My early '70s cost me about $1200 (sunburst, good condition, original case). So anywhere between $800 and $1500 isn't unreasonable for a vintage one depending on age, condition, and finish.

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    No thats a huge plus if it all original, all there.

They go for around $1200 at dealer prices

Look here
    http://www.goodguysguitars.com/inventory/basses.htm