Fender Mustang witha P pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Sep 2, 2002.

1. I've always thought that they just had a strat pickup... are the p pickups a mod? How do those basses sound? I saw the Gimme Shelter movie (Rolling Stones) and their bassist got some cool tones out of it. I also know Sigur Ros's bassist has used them on occasion. They look really cool. About how much are they?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

AFAIK, mustangs have a Ppickup with rounded edges.
    Or am I wrong ?
  3. yuppers, Mustang basses, have rounded P pickups, but they sound Iffy, most of the pickups are shot in the used ones, so unless you get a godsend from Ebay, might as well use it for junk
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You are correct.

Here is the best picture of a Mustang bass I could find:

Every1TookYourName, I think you may be thinking of the Fender MusicMaster. It has a Strat pickup, without exposed polepieces.

Here is a MusicMaster:

5. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    what are the differences between the musicmaster and mustang?
  6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I found & bought a Mustang Bass with a 70's P-bass pickup replacing the original- I liked the feel & the neck- I had the bridge replaced with a BadAss II- This is a pretty cool little axe- You can't dig in like a 34' scale, but it's pretty snappy & a lot of fun to play. Biggest issue for me is finding Short-or medium scale strings I like. The TI's I normally use are different gauge in medium, & the Rotosound med scale are good, but don't sound like TI's.
    Fender has re-issued the Mustang in red & white; I have the added advantage of MY body having been re-finished to natural grain w/ a brass control plate- Hey come to think of it, that little bass rocks.