Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tkarter, Dec 8, 2003.

1. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Any ideas on what a Fender Mustang bass is worth? 1964

tk

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Maybe I should have said a vintage excellent shape Mustang of 64 vintage.

Don't want to break the bank nor do I want to beatup the friend who is offering it to me.

tk

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    id say $800 or so..its really worth what you want to pay for it

steve

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I thought the Mustang model was introduced in the late 60s.

5. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I will look it up once I get my hands on it. I believe 64 is the correct year however.

Believe it would be a good one for the shelf and I do have a niece that would like to learn to play the bass.

Thanks for the input

tk

6. To quote the writing on the new fender mustang reissue...

"This thoroughbred reissue of the sought-after MustangĀ® Bass, introduced in '64, is perfect for players who prefer a shorter 30" scale length instrument."

So, 1964 sounds reasonable...

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks rickbass! If its a '64 then its pretty collectable.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    sought after sounds expensive.

tk

9. Make sure the serial # is valid. Then you can determine the value.

http://www.smallclone.com/mustang/switch/serialn.htm

Do you have any pictures?

I see them all the time for $600.00

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks I will check it out and take some pics when I get it. I am sure my friend won't ask me too much for it. I just don't want to feel like I robbed him.

Another thing are they good players for sound? I have a niece that is very interested in learning to play and the shorter scale should be just about right for her. Not to mention a Vintage Fender. What incentive to learn.

Thanks again all

tk

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I used to have one of these - which I bought late 70s and played for few years.

The tone was very limited and it had poor intonation above 12th fret - I didn't like it at all.

But it did hold it's re-sale value well - so when I traded it in for a decent bass, I did quite well.

I think the Fender name and thirst for "vintage" instruments, has pushed these up to the point where they are way over-priced for what they are.

Most MIM Fender Jazz basses I pick up at shops these days are a long way better than I remember my '64 Mustang being!! :meh:

12. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks for the info on that I don't much care how vintage it is or how much it is worth it doesn't sound decent it isn't mine.

tk

13. There are other short scale basses, including that line of basses for teenage girls. Squire is even putting out a short scale bass now IIRC. No point in getting an overpriced bass.

14. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    My niece, wants to play I will purchase a bassfor sure. I was just thinking the vintage Fender would be cool and a good friend of mine is offering it.

Was mostly trying to learn all I could about that particular bass before I get my hands on it.

This forum is a good thing to find out all sorts of things one don't know about basses.

Thanks

tk

15. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The very earliest Mustang basses had only the Fender logo on it. They added the oversized "Mustang Bass" logo a little later. Just something to look out for.

16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    That niece has a cool uncle. Hope she doesn't put an RKelly sticker on it or something like that. :meh:

17. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks I am sure she will take care of any bass she gets.

My whole family makes up the band I play in. We have several really good lead or rythm gutiars and good drummer. All family. I just figured the neice started playing the bass she could give the old uncle a beer break now and then. They don't like to let me take a break and the rest perform is shifts depending on the style of music requested.

tk