Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric234, Jun 13, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    well what's your guys take on it it looks nice but i'm trying to find the best bass for jazz and i'm wondering wehter a fender mustang would be any betteer that a fender jazz

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Depends on your style, really. Mustangs can be great, if you set it up right, and the look (for the white, not the red) is awesome. But there's a reason the Fender Jazz is an industry standard.

3. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    what reason is that?

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    No reason at all why a person couldn't make great music on either bass... The Fender 'Jazz' was named as much, (if not moreso), for it's relationship to the Jazzmaster guitar as it was for an attempt to draw 'Jazz' bassists... Plenty of 'Jazzers' have played P-basses, and some of the finest rock ever played was done so on Jazz basses...

The Mustang's a short-scale bass, so take that into account. Some folks will dog the shorties as sounding muddy, but I personally love 'em and have a Fender Musicmaster with as much 'zing' as any bass I've played... If it works for you, then so much the better! Music is much more about the craftsman than the tool... :)

-robert

5. Well the shorter scale is very very comfortable, but that almost always means a loss in tension. Some of your notes may sound muddier and less defined. However, if you like the way it feels and sounds it's not really an issue, is it? I didn't really find the tension to be a problem. But I like my full-length Jazz!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had a 60s US Mustang in the late 70s/early 80s and it was very limiting - the only good thing about it was the re-sale value - I found I could do so much more, after I sold it and bought an Ibanez Musician!! ;)

Many great players have used Fender Jazz basses on literally thousand of great recordings - I can't remember one, who was known for using a Mustang...? :meh:

7. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    mustang on record? Bill Wyman, Tina Weymouth (talking heads) probably others

but yes not exactly known for classic tone

so are the old vintage mustangs or the newer reissues better?

8. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    The Jazz Bass indeed was meant as a Bass version of Fender's then top-of-the-line Guitar: the Jazzmaster. But it actuallly has more in common with the Jaguar, which was released in the same year as the Jazz Bass which was two years after the Jazzmaster.

[​IMG]

This Jaguar clearly shows the family resemblence to that Jazz Bass: block inlays, the same kind of sunburst/Tortoise shell set up, the metal control plates and it even has the same knobs that are also found on the Jazz bass

9. Didn't Colin Moulding use a Mustang early on? Or was it a Musicmaster?
    (And, yes, I'm fully aware that he's more known for playing a Wal, or his current Epiphone, than a short scale Fender.)

10. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Go with the Jazz bass... You can do more with it.

11. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Well the Jaguar is based off the Jazzmaster. But the Jaguar is short scale and the Jazzmaster isn't. They are also both offset bodies (like the Jazz bass) with rhythm/lead circuts, and floating trem.

Jazzmasters and Jaguars are practically the same beast, but the Jaguar has a shorter scale and more switches.

The jazz bass is in the Jazzmaster/Jaguar family, I'd say its just like both of them. But because of the scale and addition of a mute and more electronics the Jaguar isn't as close to the Jazz bass as the Jazzmaster is.

But its all just a matter of opinion. The mustang is also an offset body and short scale, etc.

I own a 65 Jaguar.