1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andinapalm, Nov 29, 2006.

1. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    That GAS thread just fed my GAS for Fender Mustang a bit more. Does anyone here own a Mustang, reissue or a vintage one? What kind of experiences you've had with the bass? Also would like to know famous players that have played mustangs. Bill Wyman is the only one I know. Pics would also be nice. The white Japanese reissue is the killer!

Edit. here's the link http://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/FMB-VWT.htm

2. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    One thing came to mind just a second a go. I'd like to use flatwound strings on my future mustang. I remember reading something like you shouldn't put flatwounds on string-thru-body basses... Is this true and how fatal it would be to bass' condition? I usually use fender 50-100 set.

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Mustangs and Musicmasters are lots of fun to play, but I've never been wild over the stock pickups in either. On a Musicmaster, you can cheaply swap in (no changes to the body or guard) a DiMarzio Track One strat replacement pu (a stacked humbucker) and get a dead-quiet, sweet, full-ranged sound.

4. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    Maybe I'll change the pickup to SD's vintage for P-bass. Needs some rerouting but that's not the problem. I'm in love with the great playability and the vintage looks. One reason for purchasing mustang is also my wrists... I've been skateboarding for almost ten years and those ten years haven't done any good to my wrists. Nowadays it starts to hurt like hell when I play over an hour. Especially on fretless where you really need to stretch those fingers... Playing guitar isn't hurting though so I'll think that changing to short-scale will solve this wrist-issue...

5. THat can't be true, the original P Basses were strung through the body, and the only strings available at the time were flatwounds

6. I purchased a Mustang a few weeks ago to have fun with,and i havebut the best short scales ,IMO, are Birdsongs for playability,tone and balance....For me the mustang is a little top heavy but I enjoy messing around with it !!!! View attachment 46446 my mustang !

View attachment 46447 my Sadhana 06-10 (judy):hyper:

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I don't recall if I've mentioned this before, but I've used the same pickup in a couple of cheap shortscales, along with the SD Coolrails and EMG FT. Brings the bass alive. The DM FT1 is the best general R&R pickup though.

I think they'rer great little basses from the samples I've played, and I like shortscales. Personally, I'd be plunging down the money on one of these if I could get one in Australia.
    http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb7534.html
    At about 1/3 to 1/4 the price it's an alternative, and my gut says a heavier ash body would give better low / low mid in a bass of this type.

8. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland

That's one great lookin' Mustang! Exactly the same colours I've been GASing to!

9. jrock

jrock

Feb 15, 2006
    I had mine for a couple years now, and I like this bass alot. I use the GHS compression wound strings in medium scale and found this to be a great match. Be sure to get medium scale strings because of string through body design. A couple of minor gripes is I can't find any manufactuers that make a direct replacement pickup for the mustang. The stock pickup sounds good, I just wish it had a little more output, not a big deal. Seymour Duncan, however, will rewind your pickup to your specs. I never found out about the price or the waiting period, definately will look into it. Another is that due to being a vintage reissue, the truss rod adjustment screw is located at the bottom of the neck and is covered by the body and pickgaurd, so if you have to adjust the neck, you have to remove it. Pain in the ass, but I will probably get work done on it so it is easily accessable. Other than that, it really is a great short scale bass, especially when there is not to many options on a decent sounding or playing short scales for $500 or less.

10. Chris Murphy from Sloan has played a vintage red Mustang for years.

[​IMG]

11. A friend of mine got one about a year ago from Fender Japan.
    She sounds great.
    [​IMG]

12. The Mustang looks like the Jazz bass' chubby little cousin...

I like it though!

13. pwiley

pwiley

Oct 3, 2006
    ugh...

i want one for my hands [easier to play faster] and making the move from guitar to bass easy [takes time to adjust right after playing guitar].

the only problem, my dad and friends will abuse me if i buy it.

ugh. ill decide eventually. id really like one though.

14. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I have a 78 Mustang bass and love it. Strung with flats is a joy to play but I use light gauge (40/95) and use to protect the strings with small rubbers so the angle on string-thru bridge is not an issue.
    For famous artists playing with Mustang I could list AIR (French Band).

[[]]

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Life is way too short to worry much about what others think of your preferences and choices. They are not in your shoes.
    Buy whatever you damn well like.

16. Duncan will also build you a custom pickup, if you can't part with your stock one for a few weeks while it gets rewound. The price I got for one with Quarter Pounder specs was US$180 or so. I'd rather save up for a Birdsong, but a pup upgrade is a possibility.

Can you explain this in more detail? Thanks.

17. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    My friend has one, he asked me to set it up for him. I discovered that the only way to adjust the neck tension is to actually remove the neck. Which needless to say, is stupid, because who wants to adjust a neck that has no string tension on it?

18. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    Jesse Murphy plays primarily a Mustang:
    [​IMG]

19. I have a '75 american made Mustang that was actually given to me by a friend years ago.. I love it. He did not use it, and actually did somethings to it that make me love it, but could cause others to hate it. He removed the original pickups and replaced with DiMarzio's. To do so, he had to chop away a bit to make room in the body for the bigger pickups. Not pretty, but with a custom pickguard, it look perfect. The sound is awesome.

It is my play it around the house baby.

20. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I rehabbed a '68 Musicmaster, replaced the pickup with a DiMarzio and it turned out a great little bass - Like a mini P. My son and his guitarist friends loved it particularly. I sold it when I started working on my Dark Starred EBO (Couldn't justify 2 short scales I guess). Now, as much as I love the EBO, the kids don't find it as playable, and I don't play it too much because I'm mostly a long scale guy. And I wish I had the Musicmaster back (or a Mustang). Maybe a Dark Starred Musicmaster? :D