Fender neck and body not a 100% fit (both fender)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dnp41, Jun 4, 2020.

1. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi guys,

I've bought a roadworn 60s jazz bass body and decided to put my mim precision bass neck on it. I thought it was a good fit but after removing the pickguard I now see that there is like a 1,5 to 2 mm gap. It appears that the shaping of the neck and body is slightly different.

I've played the bass a couple of weeks and I kinda felt like the tuning/intonation was a little of. I fixed that with a little better setup but after discovering the gap.. it sticks in my head. I feel that the bass is a little less accurate then my other basses. I checked with my tuner but also see that I'm way more demanding now with this bass.

So my questions are. Am I crazy? And do I need to correct this and how?

2. Sursonique

Sursonique

May 17, 2020
    Same thing hapenned to me. I put a 60's jazz bass neck on a Precision body. Same thing, there is a small gap as the shape is a litle different and I also got >1mm gap on the bass side. I think it must be because the original neck was a 9.5 radius and the 60's jazz is a 7.25. What I did, is put a small shim on the side, and some sort of shim on the gap between the rounded shape of the neck and the squarish neck pocket on the body.

Never had any intonation issues though.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Welcome to Fender.

rockinrayduke and Inara like this.
  4. John Cribbin

John Cribbin

Jan 5, 2018
    Some people would describe that as 'vintage correct' ...

vid1900 likes this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Only for the 70's. Fit and finish for Fenders before that was fine.

6. vid1900

vid1900

Dec 12, 2019
    Even if the CNC machine made 20,000 maple necks exactly to the same spec.

And then the same machine made 20,000 ash bodies exactly to the same spec.

You would still have different fitments over the years as the wood shrinks and swells, you know, because it's wood.

If it's too loose, shim it. If it's too tight, scrape it

JRA likes this.
  7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If the gaps are only on the sides of the neck pocket you have nothing to worry about except neck/string alignment and the judgement of TB folks that think a tight neck pocket has an affect on tone or sustain.

If the neck doesn't sit flush against the back of the neck pocket then you have a problem because all the string tension is pulling against the 4 neck screws with no support from the body.

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    To answer your questions...
    1. No, you aren't "crazy"; but you are - IMO - kinda overstressing about it, and - again, IMO - kinda overthinking it. What you now have is a "parts Bass", and the parts didn't come from the same factory. And, even if they did, manufacturing tolerances being what they are? If you get a body with a maximum tolerance neck pocket, and combine it with a minimum tolerance neck heel; yeah, you're going to have a noticeable gap. Which, from the description, is exactly what you did. It it a sign of the End Times? No, but I imagine it looks a bit... bad.
    2. Do you need to correct it? That depends on your definition of "correct it". If the neck screws down tight; doesn't move around under reasonable useage; and tunes up/intonates at least as well as your other basses do? A lot of people would say that there's nothing to correct. If the gap really, really bothers you, in an aesthetic kind of way? A little shimming around the sides/back end of the neck heel may make you feel better. Or, if the neck is prone to movement under reasonable use, then the shims might make it stable enough to work as it should.
    But, only you can decide for sure if it actually needs correcting - or if it just bugs you...:cool:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    dnp41 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021