Fender Neck on Jack & Danny P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpeedCookie, Feb 26, 2019.

1. SpeedCookie

SpeedCookie

Jul 14, 2017
    Hello fellow bassists, i'm currently upgrading my sweet J&D white Pbass into a main gigging bass (Duncan quarter pound pickups, fender high mass bridge and fender tuners) and the next step is to change the neck, i've seen some fender pbass necks for sale and i wonder if they would fit my J&D.
    Problem is all the ones i see are 20 frets and my J&D is 21, does that make a lot of difference (same scale length tho)?

can anyone who owns an upgraded J&D Pbass tell me if the neck pocket is a standart Fender Pbass shape or will i have to carve (or add wood).
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You can't put a 20 fret neck in a 21 fret pocket without moving the bridge or making a big spacer. Neither of which are good solutions.

You should go ahead and get a new body. Then the upgrade will be complete.

3. SpeedCookie

SpeedCookie

Jul 14, 2017
    Thanks for your reply, but would 1 fret actually make that big of a difference in intonation (that i couldn't fix with the saddles)? and would moving the bridge be detrimental (i don't really mind drilling new holes in this cheap body)?

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Do you have half an inch of travel on your bridge saddle adjusters?

HaphAsSard likes this.
  5. SpeedCookie

SpeedCookie

Jul 14, 2017
    Yeah i've got plenty of travel space, i've got one of those Fender high mass bridges, but what way would i need to move the saddles? fender_badass.jpg

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You're moving the nut closer by subtracting a fret from the neck, so...

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Just saw some J&D p bass pics and they have the longer 21st fret extension fingerboards (the neck doesn't go all the way up to the end of the fingerboard, check out the link below, for example)
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Fretboard Extensions

so if the new fender neck fits in the neck pocket of your J&D body, you'll be just fine with the intonation.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    (EDIT - what follows assumes that the old 21-fret neck doesn't have an overhang for the last fret: if it does, the neck already is a "20-fret" one with a 21-fret board, and as said above you won't have to move the bridge.
    If, instead, the 21st fret is not overhanging,)
    back. Away from the neck. As said, you'd need to move the saddles ~.6" towards the back part of the bridge, where the ball-ends anchor. It might be doable in your case (using a shorter spring behind the E saddle might be necessary).
    However, the silk or the rough, irregular section of the strings might end on the saddles (those for which more compensation is required, i.e. E and A). A solution for this new problem would be threading the string into a metal tubular spacer of some kind.

SpeedCookie likes this.
  9. SpeedCookie

SpeedCookie

Jul 14, 2017
    Thanks for your help!
    after further inspection, my bass does have the 21st fret overhang so it should be fine with the 20 frets neck!

HaphAsSard likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021