1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender neck pocket/neck swap question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ledyard, May 13, 2010.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Hey guys, I have a 08' P bass I got from a fellow TB'er and I LOVE the bass. My first P. Always been a J neck guy. I also got an older ESP P bass at the same time. Same 1 11/16" nut but half the thickness front to back. I have no issues with the ESP. But the Fender neck combination of the width AND thickness AND taking into consideration how low I wear my bass, is really starting to bother my hand. Cramps, thumb joint cramping ect.
    So, either I'm thinking buy a neck with J width or sell/trade it for something else.
    My question is, what years will bolt straight up if I were to buy a used Fender neck? The neck pockets are the same, no? My three options I was considering are buying a used fender J neck or buying an "in stock" warmoth neck or having a warmoth neck made for me from some different woods. Even considered a graphite neck??:confused:
    I'm not super in love with the idea of spending $3-400 on a neck though. But I dont want you to get the impression I'm trying to cheap out cause I'm not. I would be very happy if it were in the $150-250 range. New or used.
    Suggestions??

2. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm also looking for a replacement neck but from I gather from searching is that:

All parts, Warmoth, Mighty Mite are direct Fender replacements. You can get a Mighty Mite neck for like $100. All Parts and Warmoth are more expensive b/c you have more features and they aren't exactly "run of the mill."

I think the only neck you might have trouble with is like a 50's P bass neck. because the neck pocket is "square" and not rounded.

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    yeah, the 50's neck would cost as much as my 08' P is worth anyways. :smug:

My guitarist in the metal band has built guitars with both mighty mite and all parts. I was thinking warmoth because I'de like an ebony board and a wenge neck with a black painted headstock. so the entire bass was blackout. But that'd get pricey.

4. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    The Wenge will sound nice if your body is made out of Alder or especially Ash. Also consider Ovangkol for a neck wood.

5. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Fender Jazz and P necks are interchangable, with the exception of the '51 RI and Sting. Those have square heels. Hard to beat All Parts necks for value. Fender Japan necks are very nice also.

6. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    All Fender bass necks are interchangable, with the exception of any of the square heeled necks already mentioned, and the early 90s "boner" basses, and USA Deluxe basses, which would fit, but be impossible to intonate because they have 22 fret necks. 70s 3 bolt necks would also fit, but would need to be drilled for a 4 bolt neck plate.

7. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but isn't the intonation determined by the scale length, not the number of frets? :eyebrow:

8. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    it would be like taking your existing 20 fret neck and moving it a couple inches towards the headstock.

9. No, more like taking your existing 20 fret neck and extending the fretboard 2 more frets farther towards the bridge.

10. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Umm you could try wearing your bass higher to save 200$ lol or go with the mighty mite. I just bought a MM jazz neck on eBay for 99$ For my 09 precision and it's alot better then the fender MIM necks. All I'm doing now is refinishing it for that vintage look!

11. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Well....wearing my bass higher is definatley NOT an option. I dont wear it "dufus low" but I do wear it at about 95% full extension of my arms. I'm not going to change for one bass.
    I guess I'll get a used fender neck or get one made. The body is ash on my P. I priced a warmoth wenge/wenge neck and it was like $295.
    I might have to hold off though. My band may be touring in the fall and our bus wont cut it. so I'm trying to buy a 1 ton extendo van and trailer. The good thing is I play the ESP exclusivley in that band so I wont get cramps. :bassist:

12. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    not being able to intonate it makes no sense to me?? did i miss something?? Why would it matter if i used a 34" 20 fret or a 34" 22 fret or a 35" 24 fret??? as long as the final fit and finish is G2G and the bridge is able to be adjusted properly at the saddles then I dont see why it would matter?

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The reason it affects the intonation is because the different number of frets determine how long the neck is. If you take a body built for a standard 21 fret Fender neck, and put a 22 fret neck on it (unless it's specifically made with a fingerboard extension) the neck puts the 12th fret (well, all of them) one fret further away from where the bridge is expecting it to be. The scale length is the same, but the amount of the 34" from the last fret to the nut is moved.

John

14. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    EDIT: redundant post since JTE beat me to it!
    Correct me if I'm wrong here:
    If you put 22 frets on a neck instead of 20, it becomes longer.

or:
    The part of the 34" that's covered between the body and the highest fret is shorter when that bass comes with a 22 fret neck, than it would be if it'd come with a 20 fret neck. So, if you put a 22 fret neck on a '20 fret-compatible body - which has more room between the neck pocket and the bridge, you're effectively lengthening your scale. And since the 22 frets are ALL calibrated for 34", not 34+", it's impossible to intonate. You'd have to move your bridge forward by the distance of two frets.

15. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    ok, so when you screw around like that , your moving the position of the 12th fret in relation to the bridge which affects overall scale length. I get it.

16. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    FWIW - Someone had a loaded Warmoth wenge neck in the Accessories classified section a month or two ago. Might be worth a look.

17. SK-Bass

SK-Bass

Oct 31, 2009
    Perth
    I've just done I P-Bass Body with a Jazz bass neck conversion. Its a 2010 P-Bass body and a 2008 J-Bass neck. I've also put on a 2010 70's reissue bass neck with no problems as well.

The neck butts into pocket sweetly with all the screw holes lining up correctly. Its noticablely smaller and lighter to hold and with the thin Jazz neck I prefer. You can check out more about it here

http://www.domenicromeo.com/p/bass-builds.html

18. Swap your P neck straight for a Jazz , i know someone on here has to have a recent USA jazz bass and perfers a P neck.

19. Interestingly, I traded out a Geddy jazz neck into a MIM Jazz and the neck had to be shimmed because it was narrower than the Allparts that it replaced. There is only about a millimeter or two of overhang of the neck pocket, not enough to annoy me since I never play that high, but you can see it and it sure wasnt there when the Allparts was on there.

BnB

20. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes, true, except that the neck pocket ends further away from the bridge on bodies designed to go with the 20 fret necks. For bodies designed to go with the 22 fret necks, the pocket is closer to the bridge. Putting a 22 fret neck on a Standard body would be like putting size 12 feet into size 10 shoes - either the toes stick out the front (i.e. you'll not be able to correctly intonate) or your heels will stick out the back (i.e. you'll have to re-route the neck pocket).

To the OP - just don't buy anything other than a Standard 20-fret neck... or sell the bass and buy something with a Jazz neck already installed. To me it seems a shame to buy a new bass and spend another few hundred to replace a perfectly good neck...

Or get used to playing in a more ergonomically-friendly posture. I understand you feel it looks cool to play with it slung down low, but you're creating problems for your back and wrists that you'll eventually have to deal with.