1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender neck through ***?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rooster009, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Has fender made any neck through p-basses in the past?
    I found one in a pawn shop that has all kinds of outputs on it, like for D.I. and some other kind of output. It has a cracked head though, so I'm kinda on the fence on this one. Don't know if it's repairable or not. It has the fender logo on the head. It's natural with a black PG. The control covers on the back have been redone using aluminium. I'm assuming they once had black covers for the control routings. It is a active bass I believe because it has a battery compartment. I'll check it out in a couple of days just to make sure. If nothing else I can save the body and route for a bolt on neck maybe.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I've seen a neck thru tele from the custom shop... so it's something they might have done.

3. Really- these days- a FENDER decal means.......??? Squat? I'd have to have some OTHER sort of verification!

4. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    It's a older bass, Just me guessing would estimate around the mid to late 70's. Of course I don't have a clue what the electronics really are. They look like a mic cable would plug in and it seems like there is a din cable and something else. I'm just guessing that this was someones studio bass.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I've never seen a neck-through Fender. I've seen a set-neck or two from the CS... Do you have any photos? Mid- to late-'70s pre-dates the Custom Shop by a good decade or so.

6. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    I don't have photo's yet, but I'll try to stop in today or tomorrow and snap some. Any ideas on what the electronic connectors?

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Someone put a Fender decal on an Alembic? Maaaaan those crazy 70s!

8. I believe they had a set neck bass available in the mid 90's. Not sure if it was through the custom shop or a limited edition.

9. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Ok what am I looking at? The shop owner said he called Fender and told them the details of the bass without photo's and they denied that it was a Fender. He also said the electronics are suppose to be Alembic and they take a special power supply. He doesn't have the power supply though.

10. Not sure what it is/was, but I can tell ya it's not a Fender.

11. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Hmmm...

Alembic pickups, Khaler whammy bridge (I think?), neck-thru...

Cool & interesting? Yeah!

Fender? Nah... :smug:

And where's the black PG you mentioned in the original post?

12. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    My guess is that its a home made bass made to look like/sound like Paul Jackson's old Fender P-bass. That thign had the old Barts A-1 pickups.

The color scheme is even the same except for the board. But this is not a Fender.

Look at the bass behind him.

13. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Depending on the price you could have a real winner there. The bridge is a whammy bridge and the pups are definitely alembic. The power source that it takes is probably phantom power into the balanced xlr next to the bridge. It's nothing special, a lot of mics take phantom power.

14. how much do they want for it?

15. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I'd take a punt on that, if they weren't asking an extortionate amount for it.

16. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Well, it's not a Fender, but it is VERY cool. I wonder what it would sound like.

17. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    He said he would let it go for 200. I think I can get it for less though. Hehas had it for three years. More pics

18. Sounds like a decent enough price with the Alembic guts.

19. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting looking bass. The electronics do look to be Alembic Series I. I would want to know if the were installed by the folks at Alembic. I say this because every Series instrument goes across the bench of Ron Wickersham for electronics callibration. My impression is that if this isn't properly done, they won't work properly.

Bones

20. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    more pics