Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Neck Woes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 8, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got a Marcus Miller Jazz which I bought with a replacement neck. It's Fender CIJ dated between 99-2001.

However, I can't identify it. First thought was a '57 Reissue, but it's a B-neck.

These are the specs:
    - Maple fretboard
    - '57 Precision Logo
    - 1-5/8" nut width
    - Vintage frets

I'm trying to find out what bass this belongs to, because this neck plays like butter, couldn't be better, and I'm looking to get another, or very similar neck with a rosewood board for another jazz I'm looking to build.

Any ideas?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Tim

How about a USA Custom or Warmoth neck if you cant find a used Fender neck?.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    MM, I REALLY don't like that USACG can't do a Fender headstock. And Warmoth is an option, but pricy for my specs. Plus I kinda like having Fender legitimately on the headstock, you know?

My Marcus may be a frankenbass, but it's a FrankenFender at least.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Get Jason to buy you a Sadowsky Tim ;) :D

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I tried stealing one of his once...

Okay, not really. I wouldn't mind one as a birthday present from him though.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    WOW, just got off the phone with Fender Customer Service, and the wonderful gentleman there couldn't search the serial number because it was too old.

Said that the '57 logo was used on a lot of P bass models in that time frame.

However, the only B neck they made with that logo and vintage frets was a '75 Reissue. Yes, 1975 Reissue. Said they only made them for about a year in Japan and not many rolled off the line.

Why is it the neck I love is so rare?

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Similar necks come from basses like this:

Browse around the Fender menus; there are some cheaper models also, and it could be worth buying the whole bass, keeping the neck and using or selling the pieces for whatever you need.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    As far as I know, the MIJ/CIJ '57 RI Precisions DO come with a 'B' width neck.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, the guy from Fender assures me they didn't have B neck '57 RI's. The current ones are also 42mm (1.75")

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  11. "guitargai" has had two used MIJ '70s reissues on eBay somewhat recently. Both had B necks with rosewood boards but with corresponding '70s decals rather than the '50s spaghetti logo and small "Precision Bass." There's also an eBay user in Boston who imports new MIJ basses to the USA but they tend to be spendy. He has had Capri Orange and Sonic Blue '70s reissues IIRC.

I used to own a '69 Precision with a B neck. It was a great feeling neck. Enough beef to really dig in and a comfy nut width. Good luck in your search.

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Well, I can assure you that 42mm is not equal to 1.75". Like I said earlier, it's just a little more than 1 5/8, actually closer to 1 21/32". It's closer to 'B' width than 'C' width, check for yourself.

Edit: 1.75" is about 44.5mm