Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Necks/Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, May 25, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm in dire need of a jazzy sounding bass, but can't stand jazz necks...too narrow. Was going to take a P-bass neck and slap it on a J-bass body...would I have a problem with the pickup positions? Do P-basses and Jazz Basses use the same bridges?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The Jazz necks are thinner than the Precision necks at the nut (which you already seem to know), but the P-Bass and Jazz necks are the same width at the heel (2 1/2") -- nothing should stop you from doing what you want to do.

Rock on!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This was exactly my train of thought, but the complications in my mind come from the pickups and the bridge.

Does the Precision Bass have a wider bridge to accomodate for the rest of the neck? Or do they use the same bridge? Also, will changing to a P-bass neck bring the strings far enough apart to create problems with the pole pieces on the pickups?

4. Nope, Fender uses the same bridges, just the taper of the strings (looking from the nut to the bridge) on a J-bass is a little more extreme. Their spacings at the bridge are the exact same.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I see you are from N.J., If you don't mind traveling to L.I. N.Y. guitar center has a early 70's jazz bass w/precision neck that sound's very good. It is sunburst w/maple neck.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you remember how much?

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Wow you are making me think, If I remember correctly it was between 1200 & 1400 bucks. It is at the Carle place store in Nassau County. Here is the telephone #1-516-248-2020 . The store is very easy to get to and is right of of the southern state pwky. And don't worry about price, make them a deal, I own a bunch of jazz's and would not want a pbass neck on any of them. So if they want to sell it i'm sure they will come down a little.