1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Necks - Pro Precision V vs. Elite Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TideSwing, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Anyone own or try both? I can only find the Jazz Elite V locally and want to know how the “1963 C” on the Professional V compares. The Elite V is comfortable to me.

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have both-
    Honestly, I can’t tell the difference.
    Both feel great to me.
    The compound radius and asymmetrical neck on the jazz may be a lot of placebo- they both feel the same to me.
    When people say the Pro P has the 63 neck, why do they think it applies to the V string? They never had a V string in 63; I think it’s in the 4 only.

3. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I realize there was no 5 string in 1963 but if they put it in the specs on the Precision Pro V page on their website, I'm led to believe that it is different from the Elite V "Compound Back Shape, Modern "C" to "D"" or the Jazz Pro V "Slim C".

4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I guess I was talking out loud-
    To me, they are similar.
    The bound neck on the elite jazz may give the impression that it’s smoother but the specs are nearly the same. Biggest difference is the radius flattens in the higher frets from 9 1/2 to 12 I believe; not a huge difference IME.

5. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Good to hear. I do feel a difference between Modern C and Slim C on the various 4s that are more available at shops but trying to find all the 5s in one place is difficult. Dimensions on their site like Lakland does would be nice, just to have an idea.

6. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    I’ve played Precison Pro V and Jazz Pro V.

The jazz has a noticeably thinner neck.

The neck on the P5 is thinner than the 4 string Pro P I have

7. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for that. I took the gamble and my P5 came in today. Love the neck, it feels really good and comfortable - took it straight to rehearsal after setting it up and it felt like home. Good to know about the Jazz Pro V, for fives I don't like them too skinny for some reason.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021