Fender Nickels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jul 21, 2004.

1. I just got a mid-70s fender p-bass, and I'm looking for some string to compliment its sound. I'm thinking fender nickels. Does anybody have any experience with them?
  2. I have them strung on my Jazz right now and they sound really good. Bassy and warm, but can still growl like my old steel strings. Very nice.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are good but there are better strings for your bass. Ever tried flats?
  4. I've got flats on my fretless p-bass ripoff, and they sound ok there, but I don't want that dead sound. I'm looking more for a warm growl.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe try Elixir Nanowebs. They have what i call a warm growl.
  6. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I use Fender Pure Nickle rounds. They are warm, punchy, have growl and all of the quick attack I need. They sound great with slap, finger style and pick. They also have great tension, I love em, that's what I use, they are also great on the fingers!

7. I just got some DRs, and I think that's what I'm going to keep on my P. They are a little bit thin sounding, but my P-bass has such a bottom-heavy tone that it sounds pretty good. They're pretty cheap, too ($21 at a local shop).
  8. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Do not use flats with an Ampeg HLF cab. They totally wash out on E string at E through A. All else was good but this cab is so low, flats are not working........
    :hyper: After a few hours of loving the finger ease of the flats, I realized I was miserable with the tone. I changed back to my worn rounds and the HLF came to life. Happy again!
  9. Infeld Superalloy IN344's
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive used them before. They sound O.K. but they've always lost their tone on me after 2-3 weeks. Id avoid them and only use them if I needed strings in a pitch and couldnt find a better brand.