Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Nut Tension.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Manol, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Guys,

I have some trouble with my bass (Fender P-Bass Special), atm I am in the process of re-stringing it but even though I put 3 wraps of string around the pole, the string isnt firm against the nut and you can lever it out.

Do any of you know how to make it so the string is firm against the nut, so it cant come out?

Thanks
    Manol

2. Manol, you'll always be able to lever the string from the nut, even under tension. The nut is only designed to keep the strings seperated and fixed in place laterally. The tension you have across the nut now, is plenty to do the job. After all, if you've got the strings tuned to pitch, there couldn't be any more pressure on the nut unless you tighten the string - and that would raise your tuning.

3. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh ok, Thanks :).

Its just that on a guide or something I read somewhere, it says that you shouldnt be able to lever the strings out of the nut, and if you can its wrong. But seeing as you're a builder, who would I trust more? :D

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You are wrapping the string downwards (towards the headstock) on the tuning pegs, right?

5. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I try to, but it kind of wants to move back up.

I think thats my problem.