Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender nylon wrapped

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 1, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I saw some Fender Nylon Wrapped strings the other day. I was wondering if anyone here uses them and how they like them. They have an odd feel to me and me like they would rot and unravel.

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I used them on fretless for a while. I really really liked 'em, actually -- they held up well and sounded brighter than Fender's regular flats. I don't know how well they'd hold up on a fretted, though. I agree, the feel is odd at first, but I grew to like it on fretless.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Would you elaborate a little on the "odd" feel? I am thinking about trying a set of these in hopes that they might have more of an upright tone than what I'm using now, Fender stainless flats. A softer feel would also be great.

tnx, Pkr2

4. For a "soft" feel, Pyramid Golds take some beating (but they are rather expensive). I have some LaBella nylon-tape wounds (just like the Fenders) on several of my basses (all fretless) and I like the sound, but I've no idea how they would sound/wear on a fretted bass, or when used with a pick.

I have Thomastik Jazz Flats on my Fender Jazz bass, and they are awsome (once you get used to the "sticky" feel). They're fairly light, and required more tweaking of the bass to get them to feel "just right", than with others I've used.

Good Luck -

- Wil

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Well, they feel slick, yet dry. Very smooth like regular flats, but the nylon has a rubbery, plasticky feel to it. The strings are more flexible (and lower tensions, IMHO) than regular flats. Very easy on the fingers.

I don't know how well the nylons would do for an upright sound -- I didn't use them long enough to really break 'em in, but to my ears the Fender nylons sounded brighter than regular flats.

I use Thomastik flats on my fretless now but I'm thinking of trying out the Fenders again. I really liked the feel.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Tnx guys. I think I'll check and see if Herm has any of these. I hate to sound like a cheapskate but I hate to put on new strings and take 'em right back off.

I'm playing a fretted P so wear may be an issue. I use nylons on my URB....OOps, DB, so the feel should be familiar. :)

Pkr2