Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender opinions wanted...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madfiddler, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Sorry to keep going on about this!...

Fender American Deluxe P-Bass V

I'm going to go with the alder Amber finish (brown shell pickgaurd)

How much difference does the fingerboard actually have on the sound? I went with the alder body for the mids and the tonal benfits this will bring, mainly currintg through in a band situation.

I have a simple choice Pao Ferro or Maple fingerboard...which should I go for?

Answers on a postcard to........ :oops:)

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    but Maple looks soooo cool with sunburst ;)

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm with SMASH on this one. Just generally, maple tends toward brightness, and rosewood toward warmth. There are other factors, but I personally tend toward rosewood, as maple-boarded basses often don't sound "right" to me. Pao Ferro is a close relative of rosewood.

Some slappers prefer maple for the reasons mentioned above.

4. Id go Maple.......Im just Unimpressed that fender dont have ebony as an option...thats the ultimate fingerboard..and i saw somewhere..i think warmoth that they have a ebony top option available on bodys

5. thanks for all the opinions everyone :)

I don't like the 3 colour sunburst option because of the pickguard colour... I think it makes the bass look very cheap....and I don't want to be bothered to replace the pickguard as soon as I order it!

I'm not too keen on painted finished either - I like to see the wood, so this leaves me with one other alder option...i.e. amber

think I'll go with the pao ferro finger board though

If it just purely came down to what the bass looked like and not what it sounded like I'd go for the ash body aged cherry sunburst with pearlescent pick guard and a maple finger board...if I could get this on alder rather than ash I wouldn't be asking all these questions!!!

cheers all
    mf

6. I played a couple fours, one maple and one rosewood, and I didn't see a tonal difference at all. Feel, definitely. If you hear a difference, good, but I'd say the feel is the bigger issue.