Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tangobass, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Fender Roscoe beck 5

81 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. American deluxe jazz 5

83 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. tangobass

tangobass

Jan 15, 2005
    fender roscoe beck 5 vs american deluxe jazz 5

2. The Beck 5 is absolutely sick! The Jazz is too, but in my opinion, a Jazz should be passive. Either instrument is great!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender can't make a decent 5-string for some reason, except for the Roscoe Beck. The Jazz V isn't horrible but I find it's just not that good compared to the Roscoe.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I voted Roscoe Beck because I prefer passive Fenders over just about anything else, and the RB has more tonal flexibility than most passive basses.

But I recently heard a blues player with a new Am. Dlx. Jazz V, and it sounded awesome. You certainly wouldn't go wrong there. If Fender would offer an active/passive switch and something like Sadowsky's VTC on the Am. Dlx. series, I'd consider one myself.

5. I LOVE fender 4's, but have never played a fender 5 that played well. I would seriously consider spending a little extra $ and get something that has a killin' low B. That's just my opinion and I really love fender products, I just got the TBP-1 pre, I have a 66 jazz, and I'm getting an MIA deluxe jazz, but I can't stand their 5 string basses.

6. I voted for the Am. Dlx. Jazz V. I owned an RB5 for a brief time and while it was a really great bass I always felt short changed without the control of active electronics. I now play an Am. Dlx. Jazz V FMT and other than the constant distraction of F Bass BN5 G.A.S. ( I got it real bad!) I find the Dlx. Jazz works for absolutley everything I do. IMHO the only bass that beats the Am. Dlx. Jazz V basses for spot on, 5 string j-bass tone are Sadowsky Metro basses.

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I voted Beck, cause I've always preferred passive, plus it's just cooler lookin.

8. I've owned a beck and it's amazing (for a passive bass). You get so many tonal options but it's still that great passive sound.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm surprised the RBV is in the #2 position. It's a phenominal bass, and likely my next bass.

10. I suspect that the people not voting for the Roscoe Beck 5 have not played one... they are one awesome awesome awesome playing and sounding bass.

11. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    The only Fender 5 I have ever even considered buying!

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a wash for me... I've played excellent examples of both.

13. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go with the deluxe jazz....

My teachers one has what looks to be a flame maple neck, or at least extremely heavily figured maple.

14. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I'm love passive also, but want to try an active bass so I picked the deluxe.

as for a active/passive switch, the Marcus Miller 4 & 5 have it, maybe some others haven't check in a while