fender options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tangobass, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Fender Roscoe beck 5

81 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. American deluxe jazz 5

83 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. tangobass

tangobass

Jan 15, 2005
    fender roscoe beck 5 vs american deluxe jazz 5

2. The Beck 5 is absolutely sick! The Jazz is too, but in my opinion, a Jazz should be passive. Either instrument is great!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender can't make a decent 5-string for some reason, except for the Roscoe Beck. The Jazz V isn't horrible but I find it's just not that good compared to the Roscoe.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I voted Roscoe Beck because I prefer passive Fenders over just about anything else, and the RB has more tonal flexibility than most passive basses.

But I recently heard a blues player with a new Am. Dlx. Jazz V, and it sounded awesome. You certainly wouldn't go wrong there. If Fender would offer an active/passive switch and something like Sadowsky's VTC on the Am. Dlx. series, I'd consider one myself.

5. caesarbass

caesarbass

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music.
    I LOVE fender 4's, but have never played a fender 5 that played well. I would seriously consider spending a little extra $ and get something that has a killin' low B. That's just my opinion and I really love fender products, I just got the TBP-1 pre, I have a 66 jazz, and I'm getting an MIA deluxe jazz, but I can't stand their 5 string basses.

6. I voted for the Am. Dlx. Jazz V. I owned an RB5 for a brief time and while it was a really great bass I always felt short changed without the control of active electronics. I now play an Am. Dlx. Jazz V FMT and other than the constant distraction of F Bass BN5 G.A.S. ( I got it real bad!) I find the Dlx. Jazz works for absolutley everything I do. IMHO the only bass that beats the Am. Dlx. Jazz V basses for spot on, 5 string j-bass tone are Sadowsky Metro basses.

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I voted Beck, cause I've always preferred passive, plus it's just cooler lookin.

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've owned a beck and it's amazing (for a passive bass). You get so many tonal options but it's still that great passive sound.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm surprised the RBV is in the #2 position. It's a phenominal bass, and likely my next bass.

10. I suspect that the people not voting for the Roscoe Beck 5 have not played one... they are one awesome awesome awesome playing and sounding bass.

11. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    The only Fender 5 I have ever even considered buying!

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a wash for me... I've played excellent examples of both.

13. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go with the deluxe jazz....

My teachers one has what looks to be a flame maple neck, or at least extremely heavily figured maple.

14. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I'm love passive also, but want to try an active bass so I picked the deluxe.

as for a active/passive switch, the Marcus Miller 4 & 5 have it, maybe some others haven't check in a while