Fender or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cordova, Dec 26, 2001.

1. cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Or more specifically, the Fender Bassman 400 head, or the Ampeg B2-R head?

If you had a chance to get either one of these, which would you pick and why?

Thanks for any input
  2. Don't know about the ampeg but imo the fenders don't give much tonal flexability.
  3. I gotta go for the Ampeg, its a really nice amp, lots of flexibility. I plan on buying one very soon. Fender bass amps are so-so.
  4. ampeg... those fender amps have one sound and it isnt a very pretty one
  5. never buy a fender amp!
  6. Ampeg for me, but I would still try both and buy the one you like, but the Ampeg will be more flexible.

7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles

Ampeg is professional amp gear, everything about the B2R is just perfect. I love my B2R.
  8. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Go with the Ampeg. Fender has a long history of producing disappointing bass amps. Their basses, guitars, and guitar amps are great, but for some reason, they've never gotten it right on bass amps.
  9. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    the fender has a decent tone. the thing about it is that, despite it's seemingly thorough EQ, ya just can't change the sound all that much. that's been my experience anyway. the b2r is a good sounding head imo. i don't think it'll dissappoint you.
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Ampeg B2-R Sounds great, especially with an Ampeg SVT 410 cabinet. I know from having played through a setup like this once before.
    I don't think the new Bassman amps sound all that terrific IMHO. I think my Peavey Combo 115 sounds way better, but thats just me.
  11. Go with Ampeg!

I have been using Ampeg gear for about 8 years now and dont have a bad thing to say about it.
    It's good reliable gear, I've had an SVT 400 and now have a SVT 4 Pro and it rocks!! So if the B2R is anything close you will love it.By the way what cabs are you gonna use, and how many watts is the B2R?:D :D :D :D
  12. B2r is 350watts @ 4 ohms and 200 watts @8 ohms.

I bought one in the summer but still need a cab.:(

I did a lot of practicing @ GC through their b2r so I know how she sounds.Good entry level head.

I`m partial to the Ampeg BSE410HLF cab(read WANT ONE!).
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Tried the Fender and hated it.
  14. From someone who owns both; AMPEG!

I own smaller amps by both manufacturers, and while the Fender had a decent tone, the Ampeg leaves it in the dust. I own a Fender Bassman 60 which just died on me in October, and replaced it with an Ampeg B100R Rocket amp. Honestly, there is no comparison. The Ampeg is warmer and more versatile, and, it's made in St. Louis, MO! YES! ;)

I don't own one of the big guys, but, all things being equal...

First choice: Ampeg. Second choice: Ampeg.

Mike J.
  15. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Heck why not just go with Mesa Boogie!!!! They are the top of the line. But anyway, yes, get the Ampeg. I wanna get the Ampeg B2-R also because I wanna buy a Mesa 2x10 which is 300 watts and power it with the Ampeg, but then I wanna buy a 15in Ampeg to stack it with!!!
  16. Hey EEbass04, welcome to Talkbass. You'll like it here.

Mike J.
  17. cordova

Oct 24, 2001