Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender or Ernie ball

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockbassist1087, Nov 29, 2002.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'm looking for a new bass and decided it was either going to be a Fender american deluxe jazz bass or a Ernie Ball stingray(with the 3-band eq). Which one would you guys suggest and why?

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    The Fender has alot of tonal variations and the Ernie Ball is very punchy and smoothe. I'd suggest the Fender

3. i don't really care for active fenders. but passive american fenders are wonderful, and so are stingrays. you can't lose, so just go for the one that sounds and feels better to you.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, the active Fenders have a Nutra-sweet kinda after taste that lingers. It is great at first but it gets a bit thin. They may have gotten better, but that was my impression of the 97 MIA Jazz Deluxe that I owned.

5. I would go for the Stingray (I have one and like it quite a bit) but still like the American Deluxe. Play both and try to choose, or just go with the Stingray:D . Either way you can't go wrong.

jtbp

6. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    i'm sorry if im stealing your thread, rockbassist1087. i just have similar question and didn't want people to see the similar thread at the same time. im struggling between Musicman and Fender. p-bass and stingRay. both four strings....
    how's their necks, pick ups, sound, weight?

7. the necks are fairly similar, IMO. the tone is way different. you've got to play them for yourself.