Fender? or G&L? or Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Dec 16, 2000.

1. It's your call. I just wanna know which of Leo Fender's products(Fender, G&L, and Musicman) you like the best and why. There's only these 3 to choose from so think hard(or maybe you don't have too, like me.) Guess which one I like. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm partial to the Music Mans. I love the Stingrays sounds, and their huge humbucker, and I dig the egg shaped pickgaurd. Now if only I liked the feel a bit more, I'd actually go out and get one...
  3. G&L - hands down.

I do have old style and new style basses though. The L-2000 and L-2500 are great, more modern versatile basses but for more traditional tones I turn to my SB-2 for pure passive Fender tones. IMO, the SB-2 was the pinnacle of Leo Fender's passive bass designs. As far as overall quailty of workmanship, I also like G&L the best.
  4. I don't know.. I own a Musicman Fretless Stingray 5... and every MM I've played is a good instrument.. but I also really love the G&L L2000. It's a tossup for me. The next time I buy a bass.. MM and G&L are both going to be major candiates.

Fenders are still good basses, but I wouldn't buy a Fender just because it was a Fender. I'd buy a Fender if I was impressed with it as a bass.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Got my Stingray 4 unlined fretless piezo a few weeks ago and literally can't put it down. Haven't put hours on G&L and Fender, just bass store time. The MM fits me the best. Plus those 5 big chrome knobs just look bitchin'.
  6. This ? is like walking into a bar filled with Irish, Scottish, and English and saying who plays the best soccer? By the way I play a G&L L-2500........

.....This is MEGA THREAD........

......if you groove it, they will come.........
  7. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    hey guy's
    I have both a musicman and a G&L.i have the stingray anniversary model and a G&l asat take a look im playing my musicman. http://www.witzend.org i just got the asat and let me tell you it kicks ass all over the musicman.im talking about versatility wise.the craftsmanship on both guitars is outstanding.now i'm thinking of selling both and ordering a sadowsky.trying to talk my wife into this not having much success any ideas??? we play quite often so paying for it shouldnt be a problem.ok im rambling again.if i had to use only one bass and one only the G&L asat same electronics as the L2000 hands down no question abut it.

and remember as always rock till ya DROP !!!!!!
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    G&L and Fender. MM close second.
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    G&L's for me too. I love the more traditional Fender feel than that of the MM and prefer the softer tone over Fender's or Stingrays.
  10. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I dont know as id say one is better than the other.To me they're just different basses.All have their place.I just thank ole Leo for giving them to us and let it go at that.Good luck!
  11. OK Bernie, I know they're different instruments but what I was asking was which is your personal favorite. And please NO TIES
  12. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

For me it's the G&L L2000 - over a Stingray and an American Deluxe P (I owned both on the way to the L2000). My friend calls it the "ultimate bass" because I finally stopped trading 'em in and am sticking the the L2K. The chronology (of "good" basses only) went:

Stingray -> Am Deluxe P -> Carvin B4 -> G&L L-2000

Why? Feel - I liked the feel of the Stingray and L-2000 best (minimal neck finish, wider neck). Sound - the L-2000 can do both aggressive&punchy and mellow&deep. The 'Ray couldn't get mellow&deep enough for me while the Deluxe P couldn't get aggressive&punchy enough. The L2K does it all. All three were well made, great feeling/playing/sounding basses but the L2K was the ultimate bass (for me).

I still think about adding to the collection but not replacing the L2K - it's not going anywhere (I've added a SB-1 to it in the backup/"cheap" bass slot). I sometimes crave a MM HB plus jazz equipped axe but then I play my L-2000 and wonder why I'd want anything else - residual gas I guess.
  13. Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    I've owned all three at one time or another, and own none of them now...

I've had several fenders, 2 MMs (Sting5 and a Sterling), and a GL2000 fretless which I REALLY regret selling.

On balance, I say G&L for a few reasons: Better built, more versatile sound - and you can get them used CHEAP because they, for some reason, have no resale.

Oh yeah, I'm playing a Lakland - which is like a cross between the 3, but better (and much more expensive!)

good luck
  14. I own a Stingray 4 3band EQ, and a American Standard Jazz. Let me put it this way... the fender is for sale
  15. Rick I don't know for sure, but try a G&L with the double humbuckers, either the L-2000 or the 5 string L-2500,you might like it, it's all about evolution........if not, hey we all like ice cream but we don't all like the same flavors.....

.....if you groove it, they will come......
  16. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    hey rick:
    like christos said give the L2000 or the asat a try i know you will be AMAZED I MEAN WOW !!!!!!

17. personally i have yet to try out a G&L so i cant make out 100% of which i like best. But out of fenders and musicmans, i pick musicmans. Everytime i go to guitar center thats the main basses i play. they got good feel, killer tone. maybe one day i can afford a mm :)
  18. fatboy

Jul 7, 2000
    The Musicman is a very "good" bass. The GL's are Good. The Fender is NOT a very good instrument, in fact, instrument is too kind a description. The Fender is overpriced and a BAD instrument. Not in the colloquial Af/AM jive speak. Fenders are terrible. They are the Edsels/Vegas of Basses. Fender = disappointment and some degree of poverty. Your poverty will only increase as you will not be able to retain employment in a band if you play a stock Fender.
  19. I have a StringRay 5, old MIJ P-Bass and a new MIM Jazz. I have tried a teacher's SB-1 a long time ago and I tried out the ASAT at a music show last year.

In order of personal preference:

StingRay (the 5 was not strictly speaking Leo's design was it?)
    ASAT (was this designed by Leo?)
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why such hatred for Fender? What did they do to you?

I love my MIJ Fender Jazz Geddy Lee, it is a good quality bass. Granted, I don't like it as much as my Pedulla, but it cost half as much.

Can't hold a gig with a Fender, eh?:rolleyes:

Tell that to the hundreds, if not thousands, of working bassplayers who do manage to hold a gig with them.

James Jamerson played some of the finest bass ever, all on a 1960 Pbass.

And Jaco, arguably the greatest bassplayer ever, played all of his recordings on a defretted early 60's Jazz bass.

But they both suck, right? And so do Geddy Lee, Paul McCartney, Larry Graham, Rocco Prestia, Victor Bailey and everybody else ever to pick up a Fender.

BTW - fill in your profile.