Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Or Leo Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 7, 2002.

Fender Or Leo Fender

Poll closed May 14, 2002.
  1. Fender

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Leo Fender

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Would you rather have any of the new fenders or anything thats was designed and made after Leo Fender left or would you prefer old fenders, old stingray, and old g&l. Bassically do you want anything leo fender designed or what fender have done with these designs

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Tough call don't you think :) . Either way you can get a decent bass.

Dan

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Really doesn't matter to me. As long as it's a nice bass. If Samick came out with a killer bass, I would have no problem buying one.

I like Fenders, though I've never tried one of the Pre-CBS ones. I wouldn't ever spend the large amounts of money just to own one anyways.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I agree. Play what sounds and feels right to you. My Fender is an MIM J, killer tone and feels just right for how I play.

Dan

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, the original Jazz bass wasn't Leo Fender's idea. Does that count as a "Leo Fender" or a "Fender" design?

All other things being equal, I guess I have a preference for the ones that were made while he was still working with the company, in other words, Leo Fender era Fenders, Leo Fender era Music Mans and Leo Fender era G&Ls.

The reality, however is that these companies have come up with some really good ideas after Leo moved on. The Roscoe Beck, The Stingray 5 and the L-2500 are excellent and Leo Fender had nothing to do with them.

Also, I'd rather have a good post Leo Fender gem than a Leo Fender era dog.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd take a brand new sterling over a 70's stingray

i'd take a Jazz FMT or a new 70's reissue or marcus miller sig over any used jazz bass worth anything.

all these basses have always been production basses, and whether leo fender designed them or not doesn't mean they're always well built. production basses are much better built now than they were 30 years ago. and, if i'm gonna buy a bass built in a factory, i want that factory to be state of the art.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm with you!!!!! :)

I currently have one of each company:

MIM Fender DLX JAZZ V
    MusicMan StingRay 5
    G&L L-2000

The only one that's a "Leo Fender" is the L-2000 (1984) & it really sounds better then the newer ones that are out now. A friend of mine has one that's a few months older then mine & it sounds just as great. I've owned alot of G&L's (L-2000's, L-2500's & ASAT's) taht didn't sound as good as this one.

I've never owned one of Leo's "Fender" basses. I owned a '76 StingRay w/a REALLLLLY LOW "B00" serial # that I should of NEVER SOLD:( :( but I sold it & bought a 73 Pontiac LeMans in near mint condition (my 1st car). I wish I had both :(

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't understand what you're asking, but I own four Fenders, all built long after Leo left. Then I own two Laklands, a Pedulla and an Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5. So you tell me ... where do I fit in?

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You don't

:D :D J/K

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's me also! Although, I'm out of bass money right now. :(