Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender or modulus..... or music man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mosmute, Jun 2, 2002.

1. fender american jazz bass 5 string

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. modulus jazz bass...in a 5 string if they come that way

25 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. music man stingray5

34 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    just wondering what people think....
    i play reggae/ska, i'm thinking about delving into hip hop.....and would also like something pretty versatile

2. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    also keep in mind that i'm not 100% sure about wether or not i want a five string. so tell me what you think about getting a 5string.....should I?

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    MM versatility 100% !!!! ( 4 or 5 )

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I don't Fender 5 strings execpt for the RB 5 I have
    not tried the new 5 strings with 18v preamp and FMT so I can not I hear that their are some Improvemts on the B string older ones American Std and Deluxe I did not like the B string and I thought that Electronics were a little Brittle . The Roscoe Beck I thought was a very nice Bass but neck was a little wide for my taste. Modulus makes
    The Vintage Jazz which I hear is a very nice Bass but I have played one I do not this it is made is a 5
    string The understand that the Flea Bass can be had with jazz pickups . The Stingray5 is a great Bass It has become my #1 bass that I reach for it covers me in just about any type of music I play
    The best thing to do is try out as many of these bass you can find and let your ears and fingers pick which one is right for you.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    What Harpo said, but with less caffeine.
    Doc

6. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    Yeah there aren't many good Fender 5 strings, I'd go with either the Modulus or the Stingray. Either way you shouldn't be dissapointed.

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I like my 5 string Jazz just fine. Its very versatile. Great for Ska.

8. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    I might have just played some bad examples or something.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Modulus.

I don't believe the Vintage Jazz is available in a 5 string version, though.

You could check into a Flea 5 with the Jazz pickups. I played one of these a couple weeks ago and they are VERY nice basses. Definitely something to check into, IMHO.

10. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Some times I play some Fenders in the Guitar superstores and they are just not set up at all and I as most people with first impressions might get a bad taste in their mouth . Some times i have played Fenders and they have been great and some times they have dogs . A few weeks ago I played this white Fender Jazz Deluxe 4 string that was so great and I could not put it down and If I had the extra cash I might have picked it up. Then
    I had played a American Series Jazz that played terrible and I put it right down . With Fender's you have to find the pick of the litter. I am sorry if I am getting of the subject ot this thread.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, Modulus is not a good bass for reggae or ska, though it might have some cool uses in a hip hop setting. Also, IMO, I'm not a fan of MM: never found the right one, even after the 20 or so I've given a shot at...not to say they're not well made. With the right Fender, you could be very happy, though with the wrong Fender, you could be very unhappy.

I'd look very hard for the right Fender. If you come across it, it may suit you bette than the others. If not, well...

12. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    What kind of Budget are you working with ?

13. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    tony kinal, the no doubt guy, plays stingray 5's almost exclusively, i think. That's the sound i think of for reggae/ska bass tone.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's funny, almost every picture I've ever seen him in had him playing his Yamaha basses.;)

That's not to say that some wouldn't prefer a Stingray for Reggae/ska. It's just not my taste.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. In the bass player interview he said that he only uses the 'Ray on the songs he needs a five on. I think it was 3 or 4 songs.

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After finally getting around to playing a Modulus the other day, I cast my vote for it, as a happy medium between the Fender and the MM.

17. fdub

fdub Guest

Jun 4, 2002
    san luis obispo ca
    ernie ball 5 kicks booty

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Makes me instantly think of a Fender Precision Bass with the tone knob rolled off.

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    played a modulus genesis 5'er the other day, that thing SMOKED.

kind of a jazz bass too...and i think the body is a tobias design.

20. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Kenwood stereo's are better for reggae or ska, while Pioneers are better for Rock.

WHAT are you talking about?

-pd