Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender or Musicman??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanUK, Dec 16, 2005.

1. bassmanUK

bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    Hi everyone, first post to the forum. Im over in the uk playing in two bands. www.timeslikethese.co.uk (Foo Fighters tribute) and www.inoffensive.co.uk (general classic / modern rock covers) as well as working on a No Doubt / Ska based project.

At the moment im playing an Ibanez SR300DX through an Ashdown MAG300 2x10T + 1x15 cab. I also use a line 6 bass pod XT.

Although im happy with the SR300DX im looking to take that next step upto a pro quality guitar. I have been reading reviews of different guitars on the website and had got my heart set on a Musicman, however one guy in a shop i was chatting to yesterday was trying to sell me a USA Fender Jazz active as he said it was more suited to what music I was playing. Or perhaps they had more fenders in stock etc etc.

Trouble is, in hte UK the guitars are so badly setup on the shop floor, its difficult just from playing to get a good idea.

Anyone got an advice?

http://www.timeslikethese.co.uk/images/Limelight/Dsc_6944.jpg

2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a bit biased. Leo designed them both, and he moved from one company to the other, not the other way around.

I think you'll like a MusicMan product a whole lot.

3. bassmanUK

bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    I must admit, the honeyburst does appeal to me the most, but I might have to order one over to the UK.

4. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    Music man for me mate. (I don't own one, but have played them quite often in stores) A stingray makes everything easier to play and sounds lurvely. If you have the money, buy one. Then send it to me, in little old Tasmania!!!!

5. Well.. I can see both basses been used in your kind of music. In fact; I can see every bass been used in your kind of music. So don't let yourself be distracted by that. Just get the bass you like the most and if the basses aren't set up well; say that you want to buy one of these and want to play them both set up properly to decide. Wave with some cash (that they know you really want to buy it) or do something else that they know you have the money and the will be running for you

:smug:

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I'd say go Musicman...

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Well, I'm admitadly a Fender fan, but view Musicman products to be very good - I don't think you can go wrong either way...

- georgestrings

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yep, that means "you need a Fender Jazz Active because that's what I've got here, and could do with getting the commission, what with Christmas coming soon and all..."

Here's some that will save you money in the long run. Take a trip into Birmingham and pay a visit to House of Guitars, which used to be the Bass Centre. That's where I went to buy a Fender but bought a Stingray.

The staff there are pretty knowledgable and won't try to press you to buy something you don't want. Plus the basses are generally well set up.

Their address is here...

http://www.basscentre.co.uk/

9. bassmanUK

bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's fine, but that's a bit misleading what you said. Leo only sold Fender because he got sick and thought he wasn't going to be around much longer and didn't want anyone else running his company, so he sold it to CBS so he didn't have to feel responsible for running it. It was never an issue of quality.

MusicMan and Fender are both fine basses, but Fender is THE bass.

11. I say that both are wonderful basses, my experience is that the MM basses are better built and better quality control over all. But of course the MM basses will make a bigger dent in your wallet, no doubt about that. Try both out and decide afterwards.

And for the record, I own both.. which is the best alternative :D :bassist:

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, G&L was is best work, but the i would say musicman, then fender. only got better as time progressed

13. Why not both!? :p

I've got a Musicman Stingray, im totally in love with it.

I also have a MIM Classic 60's which I WAS in love with until I got the Stingray....

However, I've tried out a new Jazz bass, its active and the first model with 24 frets, sounded and felt great... faced with a choice and no Stingray of my own, I'd definitly go for the Stingray.

IN the end though, dont go by what we say, or especially by what some biased ass salesman is telling you, go with your gut. get what's best for you.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman

15. Musicman Stingrays go used for well under a thousand and you will always have a great bass guaranteed. With Fender they have so many made in here or there, standard, american standard, squier1-2, affinity, that you have to be studied to purchase one of their instruments and their are no guarantees it's not a "piece" until you start spending around what you would on a used MusicMan. I would never ever buy a Fender without playing it first. That being said, a good Fender has a classic sound and is worth the effort and purchase.
    Musicman used to have only a few models and you could buy one sight unseen/unplayed and be assured of its quality. I detest when a company makes "entry" level products. S.U.B. for Musicman, but I have yet to play one.
    My favorite basses for the money are used ibanez from the late 70's and Yamaha BB from the late 80's.

16. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I own a stingray, a precision, and a jazz. I would say that once you play both, it should be clear which you prefer. I would think either would work in the situation you describe. That said, I say Fender.

17. Both the USA deluxe Jazz and Musicman would be good options, I've played both. I own the Jazz and I love it, it's very versatile and I can dial in "my" tone on it...but that's me, I'm a jazz guy. The Musicman is very good as well, and would fit within just about any type of music genre. In the store it played very good. In this situation, not one bass would be any better than the other, despite what the salesman says. It's all about what you want.

Just a third option: maybe a Fender/Fender-style precision bass? I saw Foos live and I know for a fact that the bass player used one. Alot of classic rock bands used one as well.

good luck in your search

18. Get a Fender with the S-1 switching. Best of both worlds. Or G&L makes a humbucker with an S-1 switching kind of deal. Once again, best of both worlds. :D Then again it all really comes down to what you feel most comfortable playing.

19. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    There - fixed it for you. :D

20. Fender USA Jazz (passive)