Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender or peavey???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Justin V, May 30, 2001.

1. Fender Bassman 100

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Peavey 110

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm thinking of getting a new amp sometime within the next couple of months. so I figured I could use some advice on a new amp. I'm torn between a Fender Bassman 100 or a Peavey 110. I only need something that'll let me be heard over a guitarist on a PA.

2. More power that 110 watts.

Go at least 4x the wattage of your guitar players' amp. At least 4x.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm on a budget here. The stupid thing has to cost less than $550.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... should be able to get an SWR Workingman's 15 for that.

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If $ limited, check out good used stuff and/or Carvin. For lots of power vs. dollar, Fender's BXR300 combo will do it. It's not the greatest amp, but it is very loud (300 watts RMS if you hook up an extension cabinet), and you could probably find one for around $350-400 in the U.S. (I'm selling mine, BTW, but I'm in NH (USA) and don't feel like shipping it.) Anyway, I think you could do well for $550 or less if you shop carefully for a used amp.
    - Mike

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've never heard the fender, but it does have higher wattage, and more features. The only problem is it is over twice the price of the peavey minx 110! It is not twice as good. The Minx 110, is easily as good if not better sound wise, it just doesn't have "Luxuries" like compression, and tuner out et al. I would say get the peavey it is much bigger bang for the buck. The fender is charging you $200 just for the logo! In musicians friend it costs $499!!!!! Minx 110 is under $200!

If $550 is your price range by all means get a Peavey Combo 300!!!!!! It completely kills any fender amp! You won't regret it! I saw a used on for under $300 awhile back!

Some other good options are Ampeg B50R Rocket, SWR Workingmans 12.

The Combo 300 is definantly the loudest of these, if you were worried about being heard you said.
    I believe (may be wrong) thats its 300 watts into a 15 Black Widow speaker. Has graphic eq, and compression. Also has a great punch button mid scoop. It can power an extension speaker too if you ever want to upgrade, and I thought it had a DI, but I'm not sure on that one.

www.musicgoround.com has alot of peavey stuff, maybe you can find a used one there.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'll second the vote for a Peavey Combo 115 (which is what I think BassMasterG is calling a Combo 300. I think Peavey used to have a Combo 300, but it's discontinued.) on a $550 budget.

Also, just to clarify, the Combo 115 is only 300watts with a 4ohm extension cab. It is 210watts on its own.

Finally, $550 is a good chunk of change to spend on the used market. You should be able to do much better than a 100watt combo if you go used with your $550...

8. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I personally wouldn't go with either one. But that's just me. So, just a suggestion; if you can, just run the Bassman 25 via line out through the PA. It may not sound the best, but it should get you "loud" enough to be heard if mixed right. Save up some more $$ for a more powerful amp/speaker. That's pretty much how I did it. I gigged for about 9 months with an Ampeg BA-112 [50 watts] going line out into a PA. Then when I had enough $$, I eventually aquired an Eden amp [used] & an EBS-210 cab [new].

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I would also go for the Peavey Combo 115
    I got mine for $550.00, and so far, I really like it.
    It is heavy though, so make sure you've got a means to move it around(I think the latest version may come with casters however, I'm not sure)
    IMHO, it sounds way better than the Fender BXR 100 I have(although it's not all that bad, but still..)
    If you are going used, definitely check out the Ampegs (the B2 is a nice amp, but heavy also.)
    Good luck. Hope this helped.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    They discontinued the 300,..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved that thing. I still like it better than my FireBass.

Combo 115 looks basically like the same thing just with a new make over (could be wrong ;) ) so I'm sure it is very awesome too. I like the new front port on it.

Thanks for clearing that up slater.

Finally if you ever "outgrow" it, the combo makes a killer sub, for a PA!

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Just FYI....

They aren't talking about the BXR 100...they're referring to the Bassman 100. There is a big difference in the two lines of Fender amps, IMHO.

12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I was just making a comparson to the Fender amp I have. But you're right; the new Bassman 100 is a totally different animal than the BXR.
    Try them both with your bass, and go for whichever one suits you best.
    Good luck!

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Didn't mean to be rude or anything...just pointing out to clarify any doubts:)

That right there just about sums it up. You have assurance that both are good amps, so just try it out and see what YOU think about the two.

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i just bought a fender amp called a Fender M80 for $300, it is a 115 with 160 watts. Peaveys are a little cheaper, but i think the bassmans sound a little better. If you find an M80 i would say go for it. Peavey has a bad reputation for beign cruddy, but you get a lot out of a cheap amp with peaveys. Just don't get a microbass practice amp, my cat once pissed on it and it never sounded the same. It always crackles. I would say go for a used amp. I don't think you need more that a 100 watt amp. Any more than that is basically a waste. A lot of people use the 80 watt tko on stage (or is it tnt?) and they sound fine. I would also recomend looking into ampegs. You may want to think about the swr LA series. BTW it is also nice to get an amp with built in chorus, like my M80 or some peaveys. GKs are also pretty good. You can get a 400rb head for around $250-300 used.

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I'll second the Peavey Combo 115.
    And a little fyi. The Peavey Combo 115 is essentially the 300 with a few minor adjustments and a new name slapped on it.

I'd get the Peavey Combo 115.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I have a BXR for sale, if anyone is interested.