Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender or squier..??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mutilation, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    hey yall.. i gotta q?
    im gonna modd a bass this summer..
    Im gonna put like a new bridge , new pickups, new strings(flats) and a different pickguard.. on a p bass this spring/summer... what should i get a fender or squier? I rather get a fender but are the bodys and necks on squiers as good as fenders?? Ive played a couple of fenders and i like.. haven't played any squiers yet.. I know alot of people who have headstockitis around here meaning if it dont say "fender" or "mtd" then its crap.....I know a couple kids that are "well developed guitar players" .. there like "they give jason newsted crappy basses in metallica.. there squiers" im like you saw the S... its a sadowski... those "basses" cost more than your car dood! lol (hes got a 83 cadilac that he payed 1500 for) hehehee.. why do people automaticly look at the headstock and tell you whats good and whats not?..lol
    what should i do? squier.. or fender?
    thanks

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I would go Fender becuase of the better quality woods and workmanship going into it(IMO).

3. i agree, but dont pay 400 bucks for a new MIM P. that's BS.

4. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    not necessarily john...while fender's do have better craftsmanship, in the end you should just go for what is the most comfortable for you.

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    If you want to do a bunch of mods, I suggest a Fender. A lot of parts might not fit the Squiers. But I really don't know why you would buy a bass with the intention of modding the crap out of it unless you just want the experience. Take the money and just put it in a better bass. If you heart is set on hot rodding a bass, look for a used one that maybe has a problem with the pups, bridge etc. and you could pick it up cheap.

6. I was actually thinking of getting myself a Squire jazz from a friend of mine who's an addict....or was an addict. I'm considering in scraping all the finishes off and do a refinish and heavily modify the bass. However I'm just concern if the after market product for fenders don't actually fit the squire nicely.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Squier=Fender, as far as design goes, and as far as I have been able to see.
    That means that Fender aftermarket gadgets fit Squier. There is a rumour of different number of screws on the pickguard, but I haven't noticed that.

If you are just remodding what can be, find yourself a used Squier, with decent woodwork. It's just as good (and without the F-word on it:D )

8. I just bought an after market pickguard for my Squier P. It wasn't an exact fit, the screw holes were off a little, I had to file down the neck part, and file down the pick up holes. None of these were off by very much, and it took me less than 15 minutes for a perfect fit.

If you get a Squier that has been put together well, an upgrade is well worth it. Swap out the pups, and maybe get better pots, and you're all set.

My Squier P has been blessed with a new pickguard, new pots, and S-D quarter pounders are my next big upgrade. My bridge cover is off back order and should be here any day now.

The bass cost me $150 5 years ago, and the pickguard, pots, and bridge cover cost me a total of $45 (17 for the guard, 10 for the pots, 13 for the bridge cover). Even without the new pups, these minor few upgrades has breathed new life into my bass. S-D quarter pounds run like $60(?) so for a grand total of $250 I have a damn fine bass.

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I'd go for the Squier. Why? If you screw it up, you didn't pay $350, you paid 150. The Squier I have feels better *to me* than any of the MIM P Basses I've played. I put a BadAss 2 bridge on mine, and it sounds pretty good. SD Quarter Pounders are next on my list, with a pickguard routed for my customized controls (I broke the tone knob). It'll be sweet.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Whoa bro, where did you score a picguard for 17 bucks? I've always wanted to change the pickguard on my Squier, but really couldn't justify paying 50 bucks for something that's just cosmetic for a bass that cost me 200 dollars.

11. that's funny ChaosGwar, i had to file my pickguard in the same places.

my suggestion of the day: Try to find a chinese squier, they're solid body as opposed to laminated (alder i think).

i wanna put a badassII and SD's in mine too, but i gotta come up with the scratch to buy a decent amplifier first, so that's on hold

12. eBay, my friend. They've got butt loads of guards on there. Quite a selection of P's and J's. I've seen a lot of tortoise shell, pearloid, and 3 ply white. I was lucky to find a 3 ply black. My auction closed at $15, and $3 S&H.

YMMV.