Fender, or Squire?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist_punk, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Fender

18 vote(s)
  2. Squire

1 vote(s)
  3. Neither

2 vote(s)
  4. I dont give a damn!

2 vote(s)
  1. Hey guys, I know both brands are made by the same company but which is better? Does it make a difference? I want your opinion.
  2. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    isn't squire the same basses as Fender just lower quality.
  3. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    1) It's Squier, not Squire.

2) It's important to note that it's not clear cut. It depends on the model and the year and the source country, and even the factory. However, if you're talking 2002 models for both brands, MIM Std Fenders are better than all the Squiers.

3) 2002 Squiers are good basic, playable instruments. The pups on the Std J are however, IMO seriously thin sounding.

4) It is also worth noting that there are good, bad and middling axes coming off all production lines. It's a matter of the ratio.

5) I can point you in the direction of an early vintage MIJ Squier P Bass (SQ) with Fralins and a hardcase, shipped within the USA for US$250: http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm3.showMessage?topicID=5047.topic A much better option than a MIM Std.

6) Among other used Squiers and pre-July 2001 MIM Fenders you have to know what you’re looking for!
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    OK, someone has to say it: Better in what respect?

It's a nonsense question unless you qualify it.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Better? I have to go for "Neither".

Reason: I have played good sounding Squiers and bad sounding Fender American Standard. I have played Squiers with really good woodwork and well soldered electronics, as well as truly crappy Fender MIA's. And the other way around.
    They were all crappy in terms of ergonomics and playability, though...

Sound, craftmanship, looks and weight are all individual to each bass. You have to look and try, to find out if the particular individual at hand is good enough.

YMMV, of course...:rolleyes:
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Another dumb poll - anybody voting for "Squire" is voting for something that doesn't exist!! :rolleyes:

Unless they are big Chris Squire fans!! ;)