1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender "Original '62 reissue" precision pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cartoonzx, Jul 15, 2017.

1. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    Has anyone ever used these Fender "Original '62 reissue" pups? I saw them for cheap and am torn between these and Seymour Duncan quarter-pounder p bass pickups. (Not the basslines.) I'm going for a punchy, growly tone, like a punk rock tone. Something that cuts through, sounds metallic, and just sounds like a great punchy tone. Not sure which ones I should get. Any experience stories and recommendations would be appreciated!

2. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    cartoonzx likes this.
  3. ScubaSteve1911

ScubaSteve1911

Jan 11, 2017
    Last week I sold a fender mim p bass with an original 62 pup installed. Great pickup if you're going for a much more old school, round, thumpy tone. If you're wanting that more modern "punk", grindy, metallic tone, the quarter pounder would be a great place to start. Do have someone in mind you're trying to emulate tone wise?

cartoonzx likes this.
  4. My clear preference is F Original '62's over the SD Quarter Pounders. However, choosing is a subjective matter.

Duckophile and cartoonzx like this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    The Basslines version is the same as the SD version, just with a different logo, btw. The QP has a lot more output, and more qrowly lows and low mids. Great for punk, and those will sometimes even distort tube preamps (which is a good thing). Keep in mind, though, that classic punk was probably made with whatever pickups were in the bass at the time, which means the stock pickups.

SirMjac28 and cartoonzx like this.
  6. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    Oh thank you. I never knew that. Ive seen people calling them thin and stuff

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    Honestly, I was going for a Jay Bentley from Bad Religion tone, their song "Punk Rock Song" is very close to what I want.

8. ScubaSteve1911

ScubaSteve1911

Jan 11, 2017
    This is my friends brother. He does some decent reviews on stuff and did one on the quarter pounder.

Now watch this one with the same bass but stock pickups

9. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    Very good sounding I'd say and I'm sure I can dial in some more grind if I want and boost the treble and mids a bit to cut through a bit more. Thanks for your help!

10. ScubaSteve1911

ScubaSteve1911

Jan 11, 2017
    No prob!

cartoonzx likes this.
  11. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Quarter Pounder would def be a good pick for punk type tones for sure over the '62 Pickup.

Also check out the EMG Geezer P bass pickup. I liked it better than 1/4 pounder More mids & more versatile can go from old school to classic rock to aggressive modern rock / punk type tones.

12. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Those are some great videos!

ScubaSteve1911 likes this.
  13. The Great Genius

The Great Genius

Jul 15, 2014
    The best pickup for old-school punk is the Fender '75 (which is in the stock MiM).

14. Jay Bentley of Bad Religion uses Dimarzio Model P DP122 pickups. I favor it for faster old school punk rock over the SD Quarter Pounder (which is the prototypical modern pop punk pickup).

15. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Listen to the intro of The Damneds, Love Song..thats a late 70's P with original PU's.....grind and clang heaven.

bether and cartoonzx like this.
  16. FenderTuni

FenderTuni

Jan 30, 2012
    Philadelphia
    If someone called the SPB3-QP "thin" then those HAD to be damaged or something. These pickups will put your p-bass sound into the "modern" side of the spectrum. If you like punk music then I suppose you use a pick quite a lot, the extended magnets plus the bite of the pick will give a very aggressive sound, want it more "metallic" ? dime the tone up.

Listen to Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden , that's the sound I get from my MIM Fender P with the QP (finger style) but without the "clank" of strings hitting the frets that steve harris uses, I prefer a higher string action.

17. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Yeah, I have heard the SPB-3 called a lot of things, but never, ever thin. Usually it is the sound description you hear when using QPs for awhile, and then go back to a bass with a vintage pickup...as in 'this bass sounds so thin to me now!'

cartoonzx likes this.
  18. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    I got the SPB-3s, gonna throw them in a kit bass :) Thanks so much for your guys' help.

Zoobiedood and ScubaSteve1911 like this.
  19. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Let us know your thoughts on the pickups

cartoonzx likes this.
  20. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    The kit will be fine by the end of this week. Will let you know!

Zoobiedood and jamersonburton like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021