Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Original Pickups Copper Pieces?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Aug 29, 2005.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I got a set of fender Original pickups for my fender jazz. They seem fine except they came with two peices of copper with wire soldered to it and foam on one side. I'm guessing its for shielding purposes. What should i solder the copper pieces to? Should the foam side be down, or the copper side down (which side is touching the pickup)? And do i need to do any out of the ordinary soldering to make them work?

Please help me out here i have a gig this weekend on friday night, talk about under the gun.

Thanks!!

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I'm a little rusty on this, but I believe copper (normally they should be brass, but what do I know?) strips go in the bottom of the pup cavity with the foam up towards the pup. The foam cushions the pups and insulates the poles from ground. The ground wires feed through the through holes with the pup leads into the control cavity where they are soldered to ground. Nuthin' to it. Have a great gig.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    thanks a lot, i really appreciate it!!

4. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    That's the way they did it on Jazz Basses in the 60's. It is for shielding. Copper down, foam up , solder the wire to ground on the back of one of the pots.