Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Original Precision Pickup - Compatibilty w. Squier?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mad_octopus, Feb 1, 2004.

1. mad_octopus

mad_octopus

Nov 9, 2003
    Hello. I am in desperate need of a change to my Squier. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go and get a USA Precision so I am going to order some better pickups.

The pickups I'm interested in are the Fender Original Precision's which I think were previously called the Vintage '62's or something. Would they fit correctly in my Squier? What do you think they sound like?

Many Thanks
    Thomas Wright

2. they should fit, but changing pick-ups in a bass you don't like won't do magic. you'd better save your cash and buy another one because you'll end up changing you squier anyway.

You could look into essex they are wonderful instruments ant cost almost nothing, they beat pretty much any MiM fender. I have one and it's a very good bass that sounds very good people are always amazed when I tell them the price I paid.

www.rondomusic.com

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I second that. For the price of the new pickups and installation you can almost afford an Essex. I highly recomend the SPB-57. (although the SPB-62 is good too). For $109 nothing comes even close. I have a fretless one and it beats all MIM Fenders in my book.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got this pickup in my Squier and love it. It fits right in.

5. Thomas, yes most after market pickups designed for Fender will fit your Squire P.

I have replaced many stock pups with the SPB-1 and I think you will enjoy your bass with better pups in it.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/bassesdescr.shtml

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Be sure to change (upgrade) the pots to get the full benefit of the new pups! :bassist:

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Flamed jazz? I dont belive essex makes one of those. Im sure this guy doesnt really know what hes talking about?

(hopefuly its not you).

8. In fact I own the exact same bass as in the review (a photo flame jazz) and I can tell you that all this review is plain wrong. The bass is perfect balances perfect and the nick is not sticky, and i've played lots of other basses and I can tell you essex makes good instruments.

The only thing is that when you recieve your bass it needs a good setup (adjusting pick-up height,action,neck relief,once you've gone through that it plays like a dream.

9. nope, it wasnt me, i havent even played one before so these arent my opinions. i was just trying to let mad_octopus know what people are saying about these basses and trying to help. thanks for hoping it wasnt me!

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Fender pickup is a nice upgrade to the Squier, imo. I put one in mine, along with a Badass 2 bridge, and a set of Slowounds.