Fender Owners... got a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Ok, i've never seen this done, but i'm thinking about having a brass nut installed on my MIA '97 Jazz V (non-deluxe). This has been my main bass since i got it, but the one thing i really want is that zingy clarity you get from a brass nut. Any fender owners modded their basses this way? Any pros/cons if you have indeed done it? for resale purchases in the future it might be negative as all parts will no longer be stock, but it's just something i'm pondering. I owned an Rbass for a while that had one, and the Ken Smiths i have played just sound great with one in passive mode (i did that to try to compaer to a passive fender). Gimme some advice here. This is especially directed at the 5 string owners, as I'm concerned about the Low B.
  2. Do it. It's one of the best things you can do for your bass tone. Like you said, it gives the open string more fretted zing and it sounds great on a Fender!

When I get mine done, I also ask to have the spacing tightened a bit like the pros do (Marcus Miller et al) and the string height, when cut properly, is always an improvement over the stocker.

The nut should be able to come out in piece, if you want to keep it. Of course it all depends on who you get to do it, just like anything else. :cool:
  3. It won't be stock anymore, but seriously, it won't be vintage for another generation (and even then, it'll still be considered recent!). Besides, it's all about players, not collectables. I think the nut is a very trivial thing to upgrade, because it only affects open notes (and string height), but a good nut could be that extra key to getting your perfect sound. I think it would be nice to be able to get the fretted tone out of open notes.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I had a brass nut installed on my old American P Bass (It was a 4 string though), I did this due to the fact that the old nut on it was played so much it was ruined, as for resale, I doubt changing the nut to a better one will affect the resale value much, when I want stock parts on a bass, I don't count the nut in, as long as the nut is functional. As for sound, I have to say in my case the sound improved greatly but that was because the old nut which I believe was plastic, was worn down so much it caused a LOT of string buzz.
  5. yeah, i beat the hell outta mine and it's getting pretty worn out too. I just haven't enjoyed the sound of the open strings on it for some time now, probably about a year. I've gone through like 20 other basses and have kept only this one, so I know that this is something that's just come about in the past few months. Even when my strings were dead (i played in some reggae bands for a while and the deadness was PERFECT) they still held their own when played open. but now it's really starting to bug me. any other suggestions? i'm still using the same brand of strings that i have for years, so i know it's not them...
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You can always keep the old nut and put it back on in the future if you are worried about it being stock when it becomes vintage.
  7. very true... i've heard from some of you that have 4-stringers, but any 5-string fender owners do this? I typically play over the back pickup 85% of the time these days and i'm wondering if it would help the clarity of the notes. It's a pau ferro fretbaord and i'm just trying to get the notes to cut through a little more rather than trying to find a replacement maple/maple neck.. i might be hunting for a sound that doesn't exist with the pau ferro however, and i'm seeing that as a possibility.
  8. how do you take the nut off and put a new one on?

9. well, i very carefully i guess..... hah. anyway i'm sure as heck not gonna be the one doing it. I have a very awesome repair guy here in town that can handle the job. That's a good question though, i'm gonna hang around and see if i can watch him do it when i go through with it. i'm gonna give it a shot i think.. :D
  10. I think the repair guy would start by separating the lacquer seal that usually joins it to the fingerboard. Honestly I think that's the only thing holding it in there. Then they just coax it out with pliers, is my guess.
  11. icorn25

Jun 7, 2007
    Muncie, IN
    where do all of u guys buy these brass nuts...i have had trouble finding one to put onto my jbass.