Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P '72 Vs MM OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Apr 26, 2005.

1. I feel kind of stupid for posting this thread. :rollno:
    I bought my 2nd bass for 50$ a music man OLP
    my dad gave me my first bass his old Fender Precision 1972.
    I know it seems like the fender would just kill the OLP but im kind of starting to like the OLP. The only thing i would change is the thick neck, I like the p-bass neck alot. I dont know why I would like the olp more, it could be the Humbucker, and i'm more into metal? give me your thoughts?

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You can just send that crappy sounding old pbass to me. I'll dispose of it for you :D

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd take it too. LOL.

OLPs are good basses. For the money these days you can get much better instruments compared to back then.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the difference these days in midrange vs lower end instruments is consistancy, i beleive. Sure the olp isnt gonna play like a $1000 musicman but it could play like a $500 ibanez. The thing that is missing is the quality control, and fender is notorious for this. Pick up 20 different mexican pbasses and youll be able to order them in order of how well they play. When someone says they have a mexican p that plays better than all the american ones theyve played i beleive them, i just think they were lucky. Ive played some OLPs that were great for the price and some that didnt play any better than the cost of the receipt to buy the bass. You got one of th good ones congrats.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I was impressed by the OLP MM I tried.

"I liked it so much I bought the company."

Not really, that quote was taken from an old electric shaver ad. :D

I tried a handfull of basses out when I bought my nephew his first bass. I chose the OLP. He's still playing it. Good stuff. :cool:

I'll also take that 72 P-Bass off your hands. :D ;)
    -Art