1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P and fretless lovers tune in!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkifiedsoul, Sep 4, 2008.

1. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Sorry for the long winded post people, but....here's the story. I wanted a Sunburst P-bass wth a jazz pick-up and a jazz neck. I looked into Fender Custom Shop but the wait is 12 to 18 months. The very next day I discover the Tony Franklin and thought hmm, that's pretty much what I want minus the jazz neck. So I ordered one thinking i'd likely swap out the neck. It arrived and within 10 seconds of playing it I knew I would be keeping it and playing it as a fretless, a lot. I was very impressed, and now very happy to have it.
    Plot thickens; when I removed the bass from the case in the store there was the spec sheet stuck to the back of the body. Looked like static electricity, so I peeled it off and.....jaw drop!, the ink/printing was stuck on the finish. The salesman rubbed it with some product and it DIDN'T come off. Next, a call to Fender. They had another one and said they'd send it along. While on the phone with Fender, another tech took it away and sprayed WD-40 on it, and this time it did come off.(of course it now smelt like my car). We agreed to let the 2nd bass come still and I would choose when it arrived. So now that I'm home with it and love it as a fretless I've decided to buy the 2nd one too, and put a fretted neck on it and sell the fretless neck. This is slim for a P and I'm digging the way it makes me play fretless, so I may just fret the 2nd one. I just wanted to put it past you guys hoping to gain some confidence in being able to sell this neck if I go that route. Really didn't expect this growling fretless sustain from a Fender. Truly sweet! I guess that's where the Ebony and Custom Shop come in.
    Thanks for reading.
    Brian

2. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Hmmm, sorry but I don't really have an opinion or advice as to whether or not you should sell or fret the other neck.

I am simply posting to commend you on a great choice. I was at a music store last Saturday trying out some cabs with my own bass. After I was done I noticed the Tony Franklin there in the corner so I had to try it - guess what, it blew me away and it supported my feelings (GAS) that I do indeed want a fretless. Great bass!

Oh ya, IIRC I thought I read here or heard somewhere that there was a fretted Tony Franklin model... You might want to check on that.

3. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
  4. funkifiedsoul

Mar 22, 2007
    thanks guys, it's possible I'd like the maple, but have always preferred dark boards and wanted Sunburst. Admittedly I was actually brewing over the idea of returning it in exchange for a fretted version if available, but,,uumm...ahhh..I dunno, I've got it here now and if I don't dig the maple as much then I'm back to where I am now, looking to swap a neck.

5. funkifiedsoul

Mar 22, 2007
    Was it the fretted or fretless you tried? Wondering how you like the maple neck if that's what it was.
    Also the 2nd bass arrived with lighter strings than the first, and what a difference in bottom end, and growl. A reminder that heavier strings equal heavier sound (regardless of EQ)

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I tried the fretless - what you have!

Honestly, I think the fretted w/ maple would be a nice contrast to your fretless TF... At least they look like different basses. Eventhough you're taking the chance of being in the same situation at least there's also a chance that you may like the fretted maple as is. Rather than spend money swapping/fretting the fretless neck - I think it's better for you to give the other model a try.

Good luck and keep us posted.

EDIT: I just reread you OP, and I just want to make it clear that my suggestion of getting the fretted model is based on what you said about liking the fretless and keeping it as is and swapping the neck on the other one to have a fretted version - meaning you will have 2 basses. But if you will end up keeping only 1 TF bass then I urge you to do what will make you happy and end up with the 1 bass you wanted.

7. Hm... Don't want to be the one to say it, but:
    NO PICS NO BASS:hyper::hyper::hyper:

:bag:

8. funkifiedsoul

Mar 22, 2007
    Pics of this bass are all over the place, and look better than my camera would do. I'm sure those interested have seen them.