1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P and/or J sound with your Mark Bass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicpbass, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Hello all -

I've especially enjoy playing my Mark Bass rig when I play it with my American Jazz thru it. But when I plug in my Precission, it can become god awful muddy and just not sound as good. I've had setup's done on both basses and it just seems to not sound as good with P bass as it does the Jazz......

Anybody out there experience similar results or have suggestions? I seem to turn my Gain and VPF down quite a bit each time I plug the Precission in.

Thanks....

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I know there are lots of MarkBass lovers out there who will tell you their P bass sounds awesome through their MarkBass - but I'm not one of them. I also could not get the sound I was looking for playing my P bass through an LMII head and 104HF cab I demo'd at Guitar Center. It was quiet at the time - no one else was playing anything. The bass guy from GC was there helping me dial it in and I'm pretty sure we got it as close as possible - but it fell way short of my expectations. I then plugged into an SVT & 6x10 and dialed up the sound I wanted. I told the GC guy that's what I was trying to get from the LMII. We then tried again with the LMII & 104HF. but there was no way i was going to get anywhere close to my desired Ampeg sound.

So, IME, the MB LMII/104HF rig is not capable of sounding anything like a medium-warm/medium crunchy SVT rig. YMMV.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Well if your two axes have different output strength, that's certainly not the amp's fault. I'd be curious to know what kind of pickups you're running. (There are P pickups, and then there are P pickups... ;))

I just happened to be A/B ing the P and the J thru my LMII on the gig the other day. (Antiquity IIs in the J, Fralins in the P.) The P did seem darker and I had the tone knob all the way up. Conversely on the J I had the tone all the way down and it seemed to fit the gig better. (Jazz gig - lot of walking & a solo on every song.)

I did have a good time with the P though before I compared it (did cheat some w/ a bridge pickup for solos :smug:).

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have not experienced that problem at all playing my P through the Markbass into either SWR or Berg NV cabs. In fact my band members prefer the P to the J with the MB. Might be a speaker thing?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My Precisions are fine with my LMII. I think it's the VPF screwing you, quite honestly.

6. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've found that MarkBass's heads are cabable of a lot more "vintage" tons when coupled with the right cabs (ampeg, ashdown), but fairly incapable with MarkBass's own cabs. Maybe their new vintage sealed ones would do the trick!