fender p-bass "A" width fretless maple neck......some newb questions....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milos.otic, Apr 6, 2005.

1. milos.otic

Mar 14, 2005
    will an "A" width be too narrow to be comfortable playing? strings too close?

also, the neck i'm interested in is off a 78' and mine is a 2001.....will i have issues with fitment?

pics to come if all goes well. thanx in advance.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    A Fender A-neck means nut width is 1 1/2 in.
    Same a Jazz bass.
    Normal percision neck is 1 3/4 at nut.
    If you like a jazz neck the A neck is fine.
  3. My '65p has a '71j neck on it. I have had it since '72 and it is my favorite bass to this day. It probably ruined the value of a '65 being a frankenbass but oh, well. Sounds and plays killer. p to p even from diff years should work fine. Hopefully someone who actually works on basses will chime in. I just play 'em!
  4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I looked long and hard before I found my "A" neck P (a '76 in awesome condition). As Mojo-Man said, if you like the Jazz, you'll like the "A" neck. I'm afraid I'll never be able to go back to a regular P bass neck again (B or C).
  5. I don't have a problem with Jazz necks, especially fretless ones. They definitely are narrower than the regular P neck, which might not be your preference. But I doubt you'll have trouble playing comfortably. You're talking 0.25" difference at the nut, and no difference at the heel, so it's less than 1/4" of a difference at any point on the neck.
  6. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland