1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P-Bass acquisition/repair job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BTBass, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I just recently traded my Sterling Ray-35 5 string (couldn't get used to the neck, guitar to bass player) for a Fender P-Bass, GK 400w head and an Ampeg 15" cab. I mainly did it for the amp, but the more I play the bass, the more I'm loving it. But there's a few problems with it. First of all, there's about a 2.5 inch across spot of this unknown substance, used to cover up a blemish, my best guess. I'd like to remove it, but don't wanna do any sanding or complete refinishes. And I guess he wasn't satisfied with the strap buttons, and made 3 extras, so I kinda need a way to plug those and the surrounding hole made by them. Not to mention, scratches down to wood. I need a way to fix this crap without stripping it completely and doing a complete refinish. HELP!

Pics soon.

Attached Files:

2. ):

Attached Files:

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoofda! That bass has been beat! To fill the holes from the strap buttons, get some dowels and glue those in, then drill the hole for the new placement. For deep gouges, I would build up glue and sand it even with the rest of the body then black nail polish that is of similar color. If the scratches are on the back, I wouldn't worry about them. Nobody sees them except you and they won't hurt the sound or performance of the instrument.

4. Thanks for the advice, Stiletto! Should regular wood glue suffice for all of this?

5. Regular wood glue works just fine for this fix

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Wood glue and dowels work for the button holes. I use super glue for gouges, but I'm not quite right in the head haha. If you use super glue be VERY careful to not get it anywhere outside of the gouge.

7. would you suggest some painter's tape along the gouges, as to not hit the finish with the super glue?