1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P-bass action help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basswtf967, Oct 2, 2008.

1. basswtf967

basswtf967

Sep 10, 2008
    Hi, I was trying to fix the string height and came across the Fender support section on their website. It states the following:

Neck Radius String Height
    Bass Side Treble Side

9.5" to 12" 6/64" (2.4 mm) 5/64" (2 mm)

"measure the distance between bottom of strings and top of the 17th fret. Adjust bridge saddles to the height according to the chart below, then re-tune."

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or not but I can't figure this out... When measuring from the top of the 17th fret to bottom of the E im getting about 3mm and the saddles are already pretty low. How did Fender come up with 2.4mm? Does anyone that have a Fender P-bass have it measured anywhere near this? Also, should both screws on the saddle be the same height or does one side need to be higher to compliment the neck radius?

http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    If all else is adjusted to within their specs, it sounds like you need to shim the neck to bring the heel up. Some use a business card thickness or pieces of tape, in the neck pocket at the heel end. Once shimmed and neck screws retighten, remeasure the string height and adjust to specs. I adjust the saddle screws evenly. JMHO

3. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    You might want to re-check the adjustment on the truss rod. Sounds like you have excess relief.

If you are good there, then you will definitely have to shim the neck as previously stated.

4. basswtf967

basswtf967

Sep 10, 2008
    Would excess relief be a bow in the neck? My neck is pretty straight... Would putting a slight bow in it be beneficial?

5. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Tune the bass and check your relief and adjust to get the .012 at the 8th fret. Then set the string height. If can't get the action into spec, then go back and read the section Shimming/Micro-Tilt Adjustment. Then go back to reset the relief and action as required.

Putting a bow will not help.

6. This seems to be a common misconception. The radius is taken care of by different heights on each saddle, not by different heights from one side of a single saddle to the other. The sides can be tilted to aid in alignment over the pickups, not to account for neck radius.