1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P-bass american deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike151, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I'm looking at this bass.
    http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0194060720
    Anyone own one of these and have comment regarding tone, sound, etc?
    Post a pic with your comment if you have one.
    I'm a P-Bass lover and think this just might be my next addition but want to hear what others think of it.

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Wow, no replies yet?

I don't own one but I've spent no less than 10 hours playing them at my local GC. Ive been seriously considering giving up one of my Fenders for one.

I guess the main question for a P bass lover like yourself would to ask yourself what you like about P basses. This bass doesn't give you that vintage, passive P tone that you might love. Its a more modern tone, especially with the 18v preamp and humbucker in the bridge. You can use just the P pickup, but it will sound a little more modern due to the electronics.

Fit and finish on these is wonderful. I've yet to play one that wasn't perfect.

3. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Very good point. I love that vintage passive tone. It just cuts through the mix so nicely even running clean into a mixer.

4. I jsut bought a 96' am p deluxe and it is awesome sounding . The active electronics give it a huge boost and it even pulls off funk slap sounds really well ,the older ones also have a thicker neck then the new ones and in my opinion seem a little heavier and better made.go for it and watch for a used one.

5. I have an older model in trans teal/maple with just a 9V preamp, and i have to tell you its pure magic.
    If you flat the eq and simply dial all the way back to the P pickup, if you stick it in a mix you wont be able to tell the difference between it and a good old passive P! I love it to death and its also a slap machine as you can go from chunky P bass slap to aggressive humbucker sounds in slight increments with the blend knob
    If you find a good deal on one, pounce on it. There's a couple in the classifieds too!

6. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Can you send me a link to the classified ads?

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I've got a 2000 five string version. It doesn't sound like the traditional P bass that everyone is used to, as stated its a got a modern tone, which was the main selling point for me. I love mine but I pretty much only break it out when I play rock and metal.

8. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    YMMV, but this is my all time favorite bass sound. I have owned a few of these and every single one has been awesome.
    I personally try to snap up everyone I see.