Fender P-Bass American Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 17, 2002.

1. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    natural color, used but quite mint, with case, 1998, how much would you be willing to pay? from ebay....
  2. Is this the one?

Looks sweet!
    I wouldn't go higher than $800...but I wouldn't know. mabye someone here could give you a better quote.
  3. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    $650 and lower for me.
  4. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    ebay bass

this is the bass that i am talking about. i guess you know all the bass in ebay, 74rickbass. thanks for your advices, everybody.
  5. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    ebay bass

this is the bass that i am talking about. i guess you know all the bass in ebay, 74rickbass. thanks for your advices, everybody. anyone know how much this is when it's new?
  6. I'm w/ ryknoz, wouldn't go higher than $650
  7. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I paid $500 for a used one a couple of years ago. I still around there.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had one just like that, except it had a cigarette burn on the headstock. I'm with Ryknoz on price, mainly because it has the tweed case. Should be minty if you go to $650.
  9. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I paid 450.00 for my USA Fender P on Ebay from a music store out west. It was a "New old stock" 2000 model. Meaning that it was a 2 year old model, but still techincally brand new with a full warranty. It still had all the tags on it and the plastic film was still on the pickguard. Not sure if the natural finish is supposed to be more expensive or not. Mine was black.
  10. Small World.....

I`ve got a `98 MIA P which is my princess.Check out www.basspalace.com that is where I got her for $525.00 a year or more ago.Some good deals there.The bass on ebay is super sweet,but I think if you shop around you can get close to that for a better price.Mine was in NM cond.

*Homer Simpson voice*

MMMMMMM.......P basssss.......
  11. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    am i the only one noticing something here...? i could be wrong, but the guy said he added the chrome knobs and straplocks. shouldn't a 98 mia p bass come with that stuff stock? please correct me if i'm wrong. anyway...i wouldn't pay more than $800 for a used p bass for the simple fact that for not much more you could get one new. but that's just me. i'm actually gonna start looking for a p bass soon. man they're tough.
  12. My stock mia 98 p came with the original chrome fixtures i.e. tuners,pots,bridge,although no real strap loks on her. She has the stock chrome strap nuts though.

What year did the string through bodys come out?was it 97 or 98?
  13. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I paid $650 for my '98 MIA P new,but it is black and you do pay about $100 to $150 more for natural or 'burst,they're usually ash while solid colors are usually alder if I'm not mistaken.
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a '95 MIA pbass, and it is string through... and if I remember correctly, it came when i got it with strap locks... I did get it this year, used from another TB'er...

15. cjlbass

Nov 15, 2002
    The 98 shouldn't sell for more than $600, and if it does you should bail on the auction, cuz somebody is gonna get ripped. I've actually sold American Deluxe basses used for $600 with the case.
    In 98 they didn't come with strap locks, but they were string through. The American Series come with straplocks though, which I guess came out in 01.
  16. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    No, the sunbursts are Alder too.
    It's the natural ones that are Ash, and also the blonde colored ones that you can see the grain thru are Ash.
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I bet that one can be had at 500 bucks, the market is loaded with them right now.
    That is a nice Pbass.
    There are sevral used ones 96-02 at my local Daddy's Junky Music going for around 550, except for the Inca Silver one I have my eye on for 649.99;)
  18. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    thanks everyone again. do you guys think this bass is good for my first bass? or should i look for brand new one?
  19. Sorry "only4him012" for the bad advice.
    I guess it should be lower than $800.

Like I said, I just guessed on a price.
  20. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    $500 absolute, screaming tops for a smart buy price, and that's if the frets haven't been wrecked by roundwounds (which they probably have been) and it's clean and 100% original otherwise.

For reference, my last MIA Precision was an American Series "Hot Rodded" in ash, $499.99 brand new from GC.

New American Series Precisions - with much nicer necks - are regularly blown out in the chains for $599.99 w/OHSC when the various colors are discontinued.

Keep your eyes open and buy smart.