Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P-Bass Body question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mazinger, May 13, 2004.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    For the P-bass experts.

Besides the original slab body and the current body are there any other variations?

I'm curious about the body's contours (the arm area and the belly area)

Thanks.

2. p bass jr? same contours but 1/3 of the size

probably not what your thinking of.

3. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    No. Not that. Thanks anyway. :)

Just the regular ol' P-bass.

If I get a 1957 RI body is it going to be exactly the same as my MIA 2001 body?

4. The earliest Precisions had a 4-pole single coil pickup the later ones have a split coil pickup (Telecaster basses in the 1970's have a big metal split coil that looks like a humbucker close to the neck). I personally like the split coil sound the best.

5. i would venture a guess and say yes it should have the same contours etc...

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I suppose there's the P-Bass Lyte, same basic outline but more contoured and considerably downsized. I think this is the bass Fender now sell as the Zone Deluxe (or something very similar).

Russ :bassist:

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    only difference I have seen other than slab vs. body contours is the size of the routed edge 1/2" radius route vs. 3/8" radius route...something like that

8. American Deluxe P-Bass has a slightly different body.

9. Sure, here's a '57 photo.

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. I recently aquired Carol Kayes MIJ P Lyte and the body is smaller then a normal MIA P bass.

Here's a photo.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Carol Kaye's?? Wow, nice job!

12. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    what a beauty! :hyper:

13. These other variations that most people are suggesting, are really variations on the P Bass itself. The P Bass Lyte, and P Bass Deluxe are really like different models, so of course they'll have different body shapes. I think the answer you're really looking for is no. The only change in the body shape of the Fender Precision Bass happened in the early 55s, (I think 1954), when it was switched from a slab body to a contoured body. Although more significant changes were made in 1957, when the pickup, pickgaurd, bridge, and headstock, were all changed, the body shape remained the same.

14. I'm very pleased with the bass, love the mojo!

You are absolutely correct!

[​IMG]
    Treea

15. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Thanks! That's actually what I was asking about. :)

16. There was also the unusually large upper horn on P-Bass specials in the 80's