Fender P Bass Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TDBASSMAN86, Jun 8, 2021.

1. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    Hey all,

I'm starting a new P bass build and I wanted to ask the question of whether it's worth it to spend more money on a genuine Fender body vs a Squier or even some knock off brand. I mean, when you get down to it, it seems like it's just a hunk of wood regardless of who makes it. I'm specifically talking about the body, not the pickups or the neck, bridge etc.

Here's why I'm asking this question. I have and have gotten rid of quite a few basses over the years. I currently have a Stingray Special HH, a Sire p10, an Ibanez SR305 and a Fender Jazz Roadworn 60th anniversary. The Singray and the Sire both have great build quality and sound great, but I just got this Fender Jazz a few months ago, and there's just something different about it. I've always heard how Fender basses have a certain mojo and I have to say, I totally believe it now.

For this P Bass build, i'm definitely going to get a Fender P pickup and probably a Fender Jazz neck to put on it, but I'm a little worried that it won't have that 'it' factor.

Any experience or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks all

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It's tremendously easy to find genuine Fender or Squier P Bass bodies both used and new. I think folks like Warmoth and others make great bodies but to your concern you have no worries fitting a Fender neck on a Fender body and that small peace of mind can go a long way.

And yeah, it's funny but Fender instruments carry some magic mojo.

TDBASSMAN86 likes this.
  3. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    Thanks for the info, i've definitely been looking in the used section for anything that might work, just havent had much luck yet, at least not finding something that's in the price range im looking for. It's hard to justify spending 250+ on just a P bass body that doesn't come with pickups, electronics etc. I'll continue my search though.

tindrum likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Stratosphere sells loaded bodies too. But they’re new stock. Worth checking out.

tindrum likes this.
  5. If the body is painted, they will all look the same.
    What they are made of will mean more than who made it.
    You might begin by asking what wood you want and work from there.

6. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    definitely thinking Alder, going for an early 60s kinda feel. i'll check out the loaded bodies on stratosphere.

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Buy a 100 dollar body off ebay. Go from there.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022