Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P Bass "Copies" That are to exact specs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Sep 18, 2004.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey everyone,

Wondering if you could point me to a P bass copy that is IDENTICAL in specs to the real deal (i.e. body size, neck length, PU placement, etc.).

Is SX an exact copy? Are there any out there besides SX that are of decent quality? I want to have a bass with the identical measurements for an upgrade project and want to save $$$$.

Thanks.

Roger

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My guess is that the more exact the copy, the more expensive the bass will be. Just look at Laklands. I would recommend used Yamaha Fender style basses. They are very good and can be had for low prices.

3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Sorry, I missed yur reference. What about Laklands?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just noted that many Laklands are close reproductions of classic Fenders and they are very expensive instruments. The same is true for the Fender style boutique makers like Lull.

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Gotcha. But those basses are costly because of their materials and craftsmanship, not their measurements. I am looking for a bottom of the barrell, mass produced instrument with P-bass body measurements. I had a 1984 Hondo fame which I am sure was pretty close if not exact.

What about Squiers? They are exacts arent they?

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

yah, squiers are quite exact.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The SX aren't an exact copy. I tried to put the neck from my MIM Jazz on mine and it didn't fit.

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    There are also some certain things that go into a P bass feel. Whether its a Fender A,B,C, or D style p bass neck does make a difference. I forget which letter is what girth myself, you may want to google that.

Also, 19 spacing is very important, which even some 4 strings aren't 19mm spacing. I really dig the way Warmoths feel like Fenders, and I am sure there are some others who are inexpensive and up your alley. Yamaha comes to mind for me also.
    Good luck!

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If you want a P Bass copy that is exactly like a P, why not just buy a P to start with? I'm sure you could find a fairly decent used MIM P for $200 or less.